Ballykelly Church of Ireland, Londonderry, Northern Ireland
The son of Florence Annie King, Harry King Goode was adopted by Thomas and Margaret Goode of Ryton, Bulkin. He joined the Royal Engineers on 8 September 1914 and served as a motorcycle dispatch rider before he transferred to the Royal Flying Corps on 14 November 1917. Posted to 66 Squadron, he scored fifteen victories flying the Sopwith Camel in 1918.
Harry King Goode's Medal Group
Distinguished Flying Cross (DFC)
2nd Lieut. (A./Capt.) Harry King Goode. (ITALY)
A brilliant fighting pilot who sets a fine example of courage and determination to the officers of his squadron. He has destroyed six enemy aeroplanes and two kite balloons.
2nd Lieut. (A./Capt.) Harry King Goode, D.F.C. (ITALY)
During the recent operations this officer has displayed magnificent courage and determination in attacking enemy aerodromes, kite balloons and retreating columns, inflicting very heavy loss. On 29th October he led two other machines in a bombing raid against an enemy aerodrome; he completely destroyed with a bomb, one hostile machine on the ground; and, attacking the hangars and workshops with machine-gun fire, he caused many casualties amongst the mechanics. Later on in the same day he returned alone to attack the same aerodrome, and found the enemy about to evacuate it. Flying at a very low altitude—at times his wheels almost touched the ground—-he destroyed one machine with a bomb and set fire to another with machine-gun fire. The enemy personnel were driven back into the village by the vigour of his attack. Captain Goode's utter disregard of personal danger inspired all who served with him.
(D.F.C. gazetted 3rd December, 1918.)