A civil engineer and native of South Africa, Leonard Horatio Slatter joined the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve in 1916. Later that year, after serving as an observer, he was selected for pilot training and received Royal Aero Club Aviator's Certificate 3912 on a Sopwith seaplane at the seaplane base, Dover on 14 November 1916. Flying Sopwith Pups and Camels, he scored seven victories and became an instructor in July 1918. After the war, he remained in the Royal Air Force, serving with 47 Squadron in Russia. During World War II, he served in Iraq, commanded the Roya Air Force in the Eritrea-Abyssinia campaign, directed operations against Nazi U-boats in the Battle of the Atlantic and served as Commander in Chief of the Coastal Command from 1945 to 1948. Air Marshal Sir Leonard Horation Slatter, 66, died at Uxbridge. He was survived by his wife, two sons and a daughter.
Great Britain, Royal Aero Club Aviators' Certificates, 1910-1950
Distinguished Service Cross (DSC)
Flt. Sub-Lieut, (now Flt. Lieut.) Leonard Horatio Slatter, R.N.A.S.
For conspicuous gallantry and skill on many occasions both as observer and pilot. He has taken part in numerous night bombing raids, and on one occasion he ascended at night for the purpose of attacking hostile machines, notwithstanding the fact that he had only returned a few hours previously from a successful action with hostile aircraft in superior numbers.
On the 4th September, 1917, he attacked an enemy Torpedo Boat Destroyer with machine gun fire.
Supplement to the London Gazette, 17 November 1917 (30386/11923)
Distinguished Service Cross (DSC) Bar
Flt. Lieut. (Act. Flt. Cdr.) Leonard Horatio Slatter, D.S.C., R.N.A.S.
For distinguished service rendered during a bombing attack on Ostende Seaplane Station on the 26th March, 1918, when, in spite of intense anti-aircraft fire and the glare of numerous searchlights, he descended to 400 feet over his objective to drop bombs.
Flt. Cdr. Slatter is a leader of unqualified keenness and dash and possessed of exceptional courage and judgment.
Supplement to the London Gazette, 17 May 1918 (30687/5856)