Great Britain's first four-engine heavy bomber was the Handley-Page V/1500 biplane. Heavily armed with six machine guns, it was the first British plane with guns in the tail. The V/1500 was capable of carrying 2 giant bombs or as many as 30 smaller bombs and like the Vickers Vimy it was designed with sufficient range to reach Berlin from the airfields of England. Of 225 planes ordered in 1918, only 35 V/1500 bombers were constructed before the Armistice brought an end to the war. None of them saw action until May 1919 when V/1500s were used to thwart an insurrection in India.