Due to its size, the ungainly Martinsyde G.100 biplane was commonly called the "Elephant." Introduced in 1916, it proved to be a competent ground attack aircraft when used to bomb enemy targets but was a poor performer in a dogfight. It was followed by the Martinsyde G.102 which was equipped with a more powerful engine.
"Although the Martinsyde Elephant saw service in several theatres of the war, it was soon taken out of service in France owing to a high casualty rate. Attacked by enemy fighters they were so clumsy and un-manoeuvrable they could not get away. Having no gunner they could not defend their tails. They were sitting ducks, Albatros fodder." Cecil Lewis
Up to 260 lbs of bombs in underwing racks and 2 fixed machine guns: a forward firing Lewis gun mounted on the top wing with a second Lewis gun mounted to the side of the fuselage, firing to the rear of the aircraft