Patterned along the lines of the Caproni Ca.3 series of biplane bombers, the larger triplanes of the Ca.4 series were designed to be more effective in combat. Sometimes armed with up to eight machine guns, these cumbersome bombers were capable of accurately delivering large payloads of bombs to distant enemy targets. Although mainly used at night, they took part in daylight raids towards the end of the war. The first triplane of this series was designated the Ca.40. It lacked power and only three were built. The next triplane in the series was the Ca.41 which had bigger engines and an improved fuselage. The final triplane in the series, the Ca.42, featured additional modifications to the fuselage and was equipped with a variety of engines ranging from 270 hp Isotta Fraschinis to 400 hp Liberty engines. Of thirty-two Ca.42s manufactured in 1918, six of them were used by the Royal Naval Air Service.
Caproni Ca.42 Specifications
Società di Aviazione Ing. Caproni
3 Isotta-Fraschini, V-6, liquid cooled inline, 270 hp (190 kW)