Medals and Decorations
The Aerodrome News
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

Learn how to remove ads

The Aerodrome Forum

Learn how to remove ads

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > Archives > 1998

1998 Closed threads from 1998 (read only)

Old 30 November 1998, 04:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
Mary C McGuire

Lets make this one another 100+ thread! What is everyone'd favorite war movie and why? It does not necessisarily have to be about ww1. Also, does anyone else notice that the Hillbilly sniper in Saving Private Ryan looks an aweful lot like the convicted OKC bomber Tim McVeigh!?

Old 30 November 1998, 04:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Ace of Aces

OK, Mary my friend. Better yet, let's see if we can keep THREE 100+ threads going simultaneously. I'm tired of eating, sleeping, making a living, and having Quality of Life, anyway!
First a definition of terms. Does it have to be a war movie or can it be a film with substantial combat? Reason I ask is that, as a onetime Motion Picture Critic (one rung up the ladder from Movie Reviewer) I wrote that The Finest Achievement in the History of the American Cinema was John Milius' "The Wind & The Lion." It's not about a war but LORD does it have some dandy shootouts, including US Marines, and Brian Kieth's superb performance as Teddy Roosevelt.
Other than that, "Saving Pvt Ryan."
Favorite aviation combat film: maybe "The Battle of Britain." Honorable mention: "Flight of the Intruder" (another Milius epic, and besides, Steve Coonts is a pal of mine.)
Favorite WW I flying film: "Ursula's Towel."
Old 30 November 1998, 04:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
Jeni

Barrett;
You just can't get Ursula and her infamous towel out of your mind, can you? Or should I say what's under the towel.
Jeni

Old 30 November 1998, 07:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Ace

Gettysburg.
Old 30 November 1998, 07:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
Mary C McGuire

Any movie with a war or war related theme, I watched GI jane last night and nearly threw up. Awful!!!!!!!!!

Old 30 November 1998, 07:46 AM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Ace

Mary;
I'am sorry I forgot the assignment. I choose "Gettysburg" because it showed the courage those men had to have had to fight such a war. Marching line a breast to face the rifles and cannon fire of the enemy. The arms and equipment in the film were authentic also, something you rarely see in a movie. I thought Sheen did a great job as Lee, and Barringer made a good Longstreet.
Old 30 November 1998, 08:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
Two-seater Pilot

Tora-tora-tora. Authentic looking aircraft and a very nice dog fight scene.

Mephis Belle was very nice as well. Pity the Me 109's looked like the Spanish version with the Merlin engine. I guess getting hold of some 109's with the Daimbler Benz engine is quite difficult these days. At least the Tiger tanks used in Saving Private Ryan looked the part.
Old 30 November 1998, 08:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
Mark

Midway has always been a favorite of mine

Old 30 November 1998, 08:59 AM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Ace of Aces

Mark: odd you should mention "Midway." There's one (maybe two) clips from "The Battle of Britain." Also from "Tora Tora" (a really good movie, fershure) as when the battleship masts mysteriously appear at Eastern Island. I fear that I know FAR too much about Midway and WW II carrier aviation to enjoy the film--no suspension of disbelief! I counted 70+ factual errors, but the public didn't mind because it was one of the top-grossing films of '76. A far better (and more authentic) version is 1949's "Task Force" with Gary Cooper and Walter Brennan.
"Gettysburg" definitely is my favorite Civil War film--I had an ancestor who carried the colors of the 47th North Carolina. Only thing wrong is the ending. Reminds me of my best friend, a retired Navy fighter pilot, who got his mother a video set of GWTW because she'd been raised in Georgia. She asked, "Does it still end the same way, Son?"
Pirate replied, "Yes, Mama. The Yankees still win."
So much for the War of Northern Aggression. (Do I hear a 200+ thread inbound?)
Old 30 November 1998, 09:06 AM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Gunfighter

Contributor

Mary:

Not to disparage Barrett's selections (which were all good--esp. TW&TL), but if you gotta pick one, I would take "Pork Chop Hill" (MGM/UA, 1959).

It is B&W and does not adhere to historical events as much as it should, but the combat scenes are much more realistic than anything of its time, and I truly love the portrayals of Gregory Peck, Rip Torn, and Martin Landau. Anyone who would want the job of commanding infantry in combat should first see it. The smell isn't there (but there is only one way to smell a battlefield), but much of the other senses are close. It is much more enjoyable than was the book written by S.L.A. Marshall (from which came the screenplay)!

Barrett: BoB was great. It also gave all of those unemployeed Brit actors some work back in the late '60's, that some wags have labled it a UK public-works project.

Have not seen "Pvt Ryan" yet. State law compells me to leave my sidearm in the car if I enter a theater, so I do not attend. I will catch it on video tape.

r/s

Bill