Links to Other Sites
Medals and Decorations
The Aerodrome News
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

Learn how to remove ads

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > Archives > 1999

1999 Closed threads from 1999 (read only)

Old 20 September 1999, 01:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Ace

The commander of 101 Squadron (FE2b) in August 1917 was the superbly named Major the Honourable L.J.E. Twisleton-Wykeham-Fiennes. Can anyone tell me more about him? Did he have a handlebar moustache and a monocle??

BTW I now have access to the full set of War in the Air. If anyone wants photocopies of parts drop me an email.
Old 20 September 1999, 06:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Hptm Ritter (Dipl Ing) kARL Otto

Herr Vigilant, really! You're not fooling anyone with such an obviously made up name.

Hptm Ritter (Dipl Ing) Karl Otto Titzlinger
Late of His Imperial Majesty's Jasta 38DD

Old 20 September 1999, 06:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Capt. Flatulentus Maximas

Karl Otto,
Cum sint crura tibi simulent quae cornua lunae, in rhytio poteras, phoebe, lavare pedes. ; )
VBR,
Capt. F. Maximus

Old 20 September 1999, 10:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
Liz Milne

My 1925 copy of Debretts Illustrated Peerage reveals that the Honourable Laurence John Evelyn Twistleton-Wykeham-Fiennes was the third son of Geoffrey Cecil T-W-F, 18th Baron Saye and Sele.
Laurence was born in 1890, educated at Harrow and was a Captain in the Ox & Bucks LI before transferring to the RFC. By 1925 he was a Wing Commander RAF and was unmarried.
His two brothers, Geoffrey & Ivo both served as army officers during the Great War.
Laurence himself was wounded, mentioned in despatches and awarded the Order of Leopold of Belgium.
The scoffers obviously do not appreciate good old English surnames.

Old 20 September 1999, 10:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
Liz Milne

My 1925 copy of Debretts Illustrated Peerage reveals that the Honourable Laurence John Evelyn Twistleton-Wykeham-Fiennes was the third son of Geoffrey Cecil T-W-F, 18th Baron Saye and Sele.
Laurence was born in 1890, educated at Harrow and was a Captain in the Ox & Bucks LI before transferring to the RFC. By 1925 he was a Wing Commander RAF and was unmarried.
His two brothers, Geoffrey & Ivo both served as army officers during the Great War.
Laurence himself was wounded, mentioned in despatches and awarded the Order of Leopold of Belgium.
1937 Kellys Handbook of the Titled etc shows that he was commissioned in the OBLI in 1909, tsfred to RFC 1914. Was air attache British Embassy, Washington 1930-33. Promoted Group Captain 1931;
commanding officer RAF Leuchars, Fife 1933-6. Senior Air Staff Officer RAF HQ Abingdon from 1936.
The scoffers obviously do not appreciate good old English surnames.

Old 20 September 1999, 11:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Ace

Great stuff Liz! And in stereo too
Interesting that he joined the RFC so early (1914) and went on well into the thirties. Thanks very much.
Old 25 September 1999, 02:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
PETER S.

Best to know how to pronounce it. Phoenetically "Twissleton Wickham Fines. Country seat still at Banbury Oxfordshire. Nursery rhyme should read "Ride a cockhorse to Banbury Cross to see a 'Fiennes' lady upon a white horse"
I don't know if it was the first Sale & Sele but he was one of the six that Charles the first attempted to arrest and therefore one of the founders of the first republic. He was the one who said "If we don't hang together then most assuredly we will all hang seperately."
The T.W.F's have never been lacking in physical courage.

Old 25 September 1999, 06:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
Jim Grundy

According to my copy of the 1948 "Kelly's Handbook of the Titled, Landed and Official Classes", our man served with 4 and 6 Squadrons during the Great War and retired in 1939 with the rank of Group Captain.

Jim

Old 30 September 1999, 04:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
Brad King

Current members of the family are:
Ralph Fiennes - the actor
Rannulph Fiennes - the explorer
and the late Roger Fiennes, an acquaintance of mine recently lost in the English Channel flying his beautiful Tiger Moth. I once asked why he/they never used the full name and the reply was "You try writing that signature on a 6 foot cheque book." Nice guy, sadly missed.

Brad