Medals and Decorations
The Aerodrome News
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

Learn how to remove ads

The Aerodrome Forum

Learn how to remove ads

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > Archives > 2000

2000 Closed threads from 2000 (read only)

Old 13 January 2000, 05:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
Ted D'Esposito

I've bought Above the Lines, Above the Trenches, and Above the War Fronts. I'm awaiting Over the Fronts which is due to arrive at my house in a week (on order from bn.com) which will round out the series. One question though. Did Grub Street ignore the American aces altogether? They did gloss over a few Americans that flew with the Brits in Above the Trenches. What gives? If Grub Street did not include the American Aces in their wonderful series, does anybody know why? And more importantly, does anybody know a definitive source for information concerning American kill claims and biographies?

Old 13 January 2000, 06:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Ace

Over the Front contains both American and French aces of World War 1.

Frank.
Old 13 January 2000, 12:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Ace

Another excellent source of bio's etc is "New England Aviators" volumes 1 + 2. It is pricey (at least out here) and is (not surprisingly) limmited to New England pilots. It covers all pilots not just aces.

regards

Darryl

Not here are the goblets glowing,
Not here is the vintage sweet;
'Tis cold as our hearts are growing,
And dark as the doom we meet.
But stand to your glasses, steady!
And soon shall our pulses rise:
A cup to the dead already-
Hurrah for the next that dies!
Old 13 January 2000, 01:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rich Hicks

Ted,

Frank O is correct; OTF does cover both French and American Aces. Perhaps Mr. Olynyk is just being modest, but he has also written a book called "Stars & Bars", which covers ALL American Aces. It's a worthy addition to your Grub Street collection.

Rich

Old 13 January 2000, 02:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
norm

'Over the front' is the Grub Street publication of French and American Aces. There are of course other lists out there. I noted in Zenith Books catalogue one that supposedly lists all US aviators (but I haven't seen it, yet)As far as completeness, I guess you should read the critical revues (Over the Front,Cross & Cockade magazines to name two sources.)Remember 'Above the Trenches' needed so many updates that they published a 'supplement' (you will want it). Maybe the others will need one too....

Old 13 January 2000, 02:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
BillyH

Frank Olynyk is right: OTF does list all of the American aces, but if you want a complete victory list you ought to get the one Frank did of all our pilots in WWI. EOM01/12/2000.

Old 13 January 2000, 05:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Ace of Aces

New Forum visitors: note that there's a fairly comprehensive book review section on this site.
"Stars & Bars" is THE source of info on post-WW I American aces. The subtitle is "The American Fighter Ace 1920-1973." Since there are approximately 0.00 chances of adding another ace ("How do you spell that?") in the remaining 11.5 months of this century, it's safe to say that S&B will remain unaltered and unamended.
I have two copies and use 'em both.
Old 15 January 2000, 05:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Observer

I may be having a bad day. ATT had all the American aces we then knew off in it who served in the RNAS/RFC and RAF. We might, I can't remember have found one or two more in the updates. The updates were needed because further records were released in the PRO and some kind and knowledgeable people helped with info. Bill Bailey put the USAS and French Air Service aces in it. That covers all USA aces in WWI. My guess is by late 1918, some 15 per cent of the RAF was American, the published Schiffer book listing all American aviators did not even get close. Hopefully they too can do an update.
Sometimes I wish people would actually know something before they spout a load of drivel on this otherwise excellent forum