Medals and Decorations
The Aerodrome News
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

Learn how to remove ads

The Aerodrome Forum

Learn how to remove ads

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > Archives > 2001

2001 Closed threads from 2001 (read only)

Old 12 December 2001, 04:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Mark7

Greetings All
I have acquired a Fokker Dr1 project that is 20+ years old ,so as you can guess the wings need some wood and rib replacement. the box spars seem OK.so I figure I'm out in the garage shop for the winter. Any way I'm on the look out for the usual stuff. Wheels,gas ,castor oil tank,130 Clerget,you know the normal things . However crazy it sounds by The Grace Of God,it will be in the air some day !!!!!!!!!
A lot of times people will make two or more of what they need,so give me a shout. With Greatfull Regards: Mark

Old 12 December 2001, 07:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
dtenney

Mark,

Should you come across any Mercedes or BMW inline 6 motors I am interested!!! Preferably either the BMW IIIa OR the Mercedes D.III's. Ok? let me know... thanks

Old 13 December 2001, 05:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Ace

Good luck on your engine search. You probably will have an easier time finding a LeRhone than a Clerget, but hey, good luck. Send me your specific needs list offline and I'll see what I can come up for you. We have a Dr.I project well underway and may be able to offer suggestions, parts (no promises, but we'll see), etc. My response to this needs list may take a month or so.
Old 14 December 2001, 05:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
dtenney

maybe this is too early to ask but... what markings are you going to use?

Old 14 December 2001, 05:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
Mark7

Not at all,my desire is to paint it up like Lt Hans Kirschstein machine of Jasta 6. In fact I have a thread going on about that very thing in another part of the forum.

Old 27 December 2001, 01:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Ace

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your question by e-mail. Please forgive that I have decided to answer your question here on the forum, but it might perhaps be of interest to others, too.

Quote:
Greetings Gentlemen
* * * * * * * *I'm hoping you can help me with a question ? I have acquired a project of a Fokker Dr1 ,The wings are complete ,however the attachment points on the box spares have been drilled 2 3/4 inches from top to bottom . The top hole is 3/4 of an inch from the top of the spar and ,the bottom hole is 1/2 " from the bottom of the spar. Is this the correct spacing and does it present any problems with the wing attachment ? *Also any structural problems? *The spacing seem to be consistent with all three wings. *The wing were made about twenty years ago.
Any help would be greatly appreciated as I hope to complete the project .
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Very Best Regards: *Mark Laurin
Please find attached a copy of the wing fitting as shown on the original Fokker Works drawing No.30050A. You can see the original dimensiones there.

The image below shows you the new wing drawing that we have developed from the original one. It is in the same scale as the original works drawing which was drawn in 1/5 scale.

http://www.collectors-edition.com/f-t-s_ze...Dr1_english.htm

The holes for the bolts to fix the brackets are of 6 mm diameter.

As you can see these seem to differ from the sources your triplane was constructed from.

Unfortunately I can not tell you much more about your design since I do know nothing of its origin.

I hope this helps you to see how it was done.

I may just sit down and write another book. This time on the whole story ...