Links to Other Sites
Medals and Decorations
The Aerodrome News
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

Learn how to remove ads

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > Archives > 2001

2001 Closed threads from 2001 (read only)

Old 26 February 2001, 05:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
Joacim

Last year I visited Cappy and the mansion MvR stayed at when he was shot down. To my surprise there wasn't even a sign that told the story for visitors. Do anyone know why? Even if French authorities don't care for the history of the place they could at least put up a sign for tourist from other countries.

Old 26 February 2001, 05:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Observer

to the Frogs, the Boche are dogs. Would you be likely to advertise the conquests of a hated enemy?

Old 26 February 2001, 05:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Ace

Joacim;
The French don't have very kind feelings towards the Germans, or anyone else for that matter. They have even dishonored MvR's first grave site by placing a trash dumpster over it.
Richard
Old 26 February 2001, 05:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
fred

The railcar the the Germans signed the Armistus (sp) bears a plaque noting the fact. That the French sat in the same car across from Hitler and signed the Surrender in 1940 seems to have slipped from the historians, and there is no mention of it on the plaque or any other informational posting in the area...

Old 26 February 2001, 06:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
John

Hi All,
You've got to remember though, every time there's a war in Europe (okay almost..) the poor old Frogs get hammered. Armies marching back and forth, rape and pillage, destruction of the garlic crop. We Brits haven't been invaded for a thousand years ( if you don't count the Bruces and various other Scottish bandits in the 14th century ) the US never at all. Spain, Italy and Greece maybe a bit here and there but it's always the Frenchies who really suffer.
Regards, John.
p.s. They also don't want too many (not looking at anyone in particular, Ginge) ghastly Brits running around, ordering their steaks well done and massacring the sublime French tongue with their ill remembered schoolboy phrases.

Old 26 February 2001, 06:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
Rest in Peace

John,

Have you forgotten about Napoleon (in talking about the French always getting hammered). And how about the American War of 1812? I'd say getting out capital burned down just might constitute an invasion.
Old 26 February 2001, 08:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
Baron vonTecumseh

I don,t think you would find to many native Americans
who would agree that"America has never been invaded
I know Tecumseh and his infamous brother
"The Shawnee Prophet,wouldn,t agree!
Baron vonTecumseh

Old 26 February 2001, 09:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
Steve Robertson

John,
Please read your history and get your facts right,describing Robert the Bruce as a "bandit" is to do great discredit to an outstanding military leader.
Also, England has been invaded and conquered on a number of occasions,remember 1066?,and yes the Norman's were French, surprise,surprise!!!
Finally,the British flew Nieuports and Spads throughout WW1 because certainly in 1916 they were better aircraft than the sub-standard 'pushers'that we were producing at that time!!
Need I say more,xenophobic clap trap doesn't do anything for the more usual excellent debate on this website!!

Old 26 February 2001, 09:59 AM   #9 (permalink)
Bob Philios

While visiting Cappy the morning of April 21,1998, I was a little curios looking through the gates of the Chateau. I don't remember reading or hearing about a Chateau being used by MvR or his men or even any mention of it! Can anyone one enlighten me?

Old 26 February 2001, 10:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
Forum Ace of Aces

You'd think that if only in the interest of tourism, the Cappy Chamber of Commerce (?) would put up a sign: "MvR Slept Here."
It'd get ME to consider spending the night...