Medals and Decorations
The Aerodrome News
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

Learn how to remove ads

The Aerodrome Forum

Learn how to remove ads

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > Archives > 2001

2001 Closed threads from 2001 (read only)

Old 21 May 2001, 04:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
John

Hi Guy's, Anyone have anything on this plane? The June issue of "Wings" magazine has a B/W picture but I have looked all over and can't find anything else on it. It's not a D.VI. The engine is completely inclosed and there are some other noticable differences. It is nicer looking. Cheers!

Old 21 May 2001, 06:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Rest in Peace

My Gallery
John:
The Rol. D.VII was powered with the Benz V-8 cylinder BzIIIb engine. There were two Rol.D.VII purchased by Idflieg as test beds for the experimental Benz BzIIIb V-8. The Rol. D.VIb with the Benz Bz.IIIaŁ engine had the same horsepower and were puit into series production along with the Rol. D.VIa with the Mercedes 180 Ps D.IIIaŁ engine. LFG Roland continued to develope single seat fighters which were ordered and built up to the Parasol Rol. D.XVII before the end of the war. The D.XVII was a cantilever-winged parasol with the suberb BMWIIIa engine.
Blue skies,
Dan-San Abbott
Old 21 May 2001, 07:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
john

Thanks Dan-San. You are a wealth of information as usual. Now you wouldn't happen to know where I could get a three view drawing of the D.VII would you?

Old 21 May 2001, 08:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Ace

On the subject of "obscure German fighters": anyone know any more about some of the Pfalz designs that were mentioned in the new FMP Pfalz book? Interesting are the D.IIIa with a Benz V-8, and the parasol that participated in the Second Fighter Competition.
I know that this is a long shot, as the definitive book has been published, but why not at least ask?

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."

- Denis Diderot
Old 21 May 2001, 08:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
john

Sorry Craig, I don't have anything on these birds but Dan-San Abbott might.

Old 23 May 2001, 03:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Aaron

This is a very hard aircraft to get a view of. There are only two sources that I've seen with it, and both not of the whole aircraft. One was some film that H. Hugh Wynne showed at a League of WWI seminar. It showed Pfalz factory footage and you caught a glimpse of it as they brought a finished D.VIII or D.XII fuselage in. It was off to the side in a dimly lit hangar and they walked right by it. Another is the view of a smiling Hans Klein wearing his PlM and posing in front of the massive Sh.IIIa rotary, two-piece four-bladed propeller, and fretted cowling. The fuselage and engine installation were very similar to the D.VIII. From all appearances it appeared to he a high-winged cantilever parasol version of the D.VIII.

Old 24 May 2001, 01:09 AM   #7 (permalink)
john

Thanks Aaron, but I am interested in the Roland D.VII not the Pfalz. Okay?

Old 24 May 2001, 09:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
Aaron

John,

Sorry, I was responding to Craig's message about the Pfalz parasol. I realized that you were looking for Roland D.VII info. The Roland D.VII remained a prototype and never entered squadron service. The D.VIa and D.VIb were the last Roland fighter designs to get a significant production order and see any kind of service.

Old 24 May 2001, 10:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
john

Okay,thanks Aaron. I have some knowledge of the D.VI. I don't find it a particularly attractive plane to model.

Old 24 May 2001, 12:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Forum Ace

The Roland D.VI makes for quite a nice model, John. The cowling was well designed, and as a whole, a well proportioned machine. In fact, the D.VII was essentially just a D.VI with a different engine.

Aaron: Thanks for the info. I'd like to get a look at the wing structure of the Pfalz D.X. Also, I'll wager that the D.IIIa with a Benz V-8 was as attractive as it was with the Mercedes.

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."

- Denis Diderot