Links to Other Sites
Medals and Decorations
The Aerodrome News
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

Learn how to remove ads

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > Archives > 2002

2002 Closed threads from 2002 (read only)

Old 15 November 2001, 11:04 AM   #31 (permalink)
dtenney

i just found a possible lead to ORIGINAL plans of a Fokker DVII that are from the manufacturer. I am still following up on the authenticity of the plans them selves, however one factor that leads me to believe that they are indeed originals is that the price is high and there is a purchaser's agreement that must be signed from germany.... I'll investigate further.. What does anyone think about this? should i go for it?

Old 16 November 2001, 06:16 AM   #32 (permalink)
dtenney

I got a reply about my inquiries about the authenticity of these drawings.. Apparently they are researched, clarified and authenticated drawings. I was even sent a sample drawing that ive converted into a GIF file that, if any one is interested, i can email a copy to... just gimme an email ...ok??

dtenney

Old 16 November 2001, 03:01 PM   #34 (permalink)
dtenney

there you go, off in the mail!!! I'm still wrestling with the decision.. which plans to get... oh, the decisions!!

Old 28 November 2001, 07:35 PM   #35 (permalink)
Forum Ace

Ok... I guess it's my turn for an update.

1) I've determined that the engine I was planning to use is too light for weight and balance concerns. Time to look some more.

2) I've gotten most of the critical measurements, time to start the drawings. Gonna start with the tail surfaces, just for practice.

In case nobody remembers... it's a 75% Roland CII.

Brad

"My point is that KILLING BABIES ON PURPOSE IS NEVER OKAY. " - Craig

"Not even before they are born! " - ME

"Is nailing Jell-O to the wall productive?" - Barker
Old 29 November 2001, 11:39 AM   #36 (permalink)
Rex_Feral

My project updates:

I have traded my L.E.A.F. Nieuport 11 kit for an Airdrome 75% Fokker D.VIII. If all goes according to plan, I'll be constructing my workbenches and moving a few tools into the hangar space I share with friends.

I am also always gathering info for my full size Albatros D.Va project. I am currenlty looking specifically for books on aircraft design, with an eye toward possibly scaling up a set of 1/3 scale R/C plans to build my full size D.Va.

Old 29 November 2001, 12:20 PM   #37 (permalink)
Rex_Feral

Quote:
In case nobody remembers... it's a 75% Roland CII. *
I've been meaning to ask you about your Roland C.II. Have you thought about the poor downward visibility inherent in the type?

I know they have wing cutouts similar to the Dr.I to alleviate the problem somewhat, but I don't know if I'd want to try spot landing one on a small field! *

Old 29 November 2001, 12:32 PM   #38 (permalink)
Forum Ace

That's a really good question... the answer is: yes, and no.

I haven't sat in a "mock up" or anything yet... but I suspect it won't be much worse than a low or mid-wing monoplane.

It will be a true dual-control aircraft also... the intent is to use it as a "trainer" for friends that will be building other semi-ultralight types. (some 103 legal, some not- hence the "semi" designation)

I too want an Albatross D series... but I like the DIII better. For that matter, I like the DI too...

The Roland actually won't be mine. It will be half mine initially... but will get passed on to my bud as he helps me complete MY ship. We're doing his first since it has 2 seats.

Mine will be one of 2 things: An Albatross, IF I can maintain my medical... I just learned that my mother has diabetes, and I'm "at risk" so I don't know what the future holds. If I lose my medical, I'll probably build an Eindecker replica since I'm POSITIVE it can be done as a 103-legal craft.

Brad

"My point is that KILLING BABIES ON PURPOSE IS NEVER OKAY. " - Craig

"Not even before they are born! " - ME

"Is nailing Jell-O to the wall productive?" - Barker
Old 3 December 2001, 05:12 AM   #39 (permalink)
Forum Ace

This is an update on the work of Team Fokker at the Old Kingsbury Aerodrome in Kingsbury, Texas. Presently we are working on a full-scale Fokker D.VII that I've mentioned in other posts. This past weekend we finished welding the ailerons and mounted them to the top wing. The ailerons still need to have the trailing edge wires installed. We also began remounting other wing fittings to the spars. Internal bracing wires were installed but have not had the proper tensioning applied yet. In addition to this we lowered a previously worked on Fokker Dr.I fuselage from the ceiling in order to finish it as well this year. We may have both aircraft ready to fly about the same time.
Old 3 December 2001, 05:38 AM   #40 (permalink)
dtenney

way to go team Fokker! If i only lived closer, I'd be begging to help!! Good luck to you all and god-speed!!