Links to Other Sites
Medals and Decorations
The Aerodrome News
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

Learn how to remove ads

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > Archives > 2002

2002 Closed threads from 2002 (read only)

Old 9 January 2002, 09:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Ace

I have two question reguarding naval ace.

I know that britain have a few RNAS ace, that france have one sailor with more than five victory (I will post the biography one of those day he was a QM (corporal) based at CAM Dunkerque (PC st Paul) and get 6 victory making him the only french navy ace of ww1
my question is did the US (USN or USMC) produce any ace in ww1

my second question is did any pilot reach the ace status flying flying boat or seaplane and how succesfull were the sea plane (and flying boat) as figther?

thank you for the answers.
Old 10 January 2002, 05:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Ace

Hello:

I can only think of one USN ace off the top of my head, David Ingalis, see link.

Dave

http://209.235.66.44/WW1/Americans/Pilots/Ingalls.htm
Old 10 January 2002, 07:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Hugh_A._Halliday

The Aerodrome Aces section has rather skimpy information, on Friedrich Christiansen (13 victories) but I believe he achieved most (if not all) his victories on seaplanes. Others will undoubtedly emerge from the shadows to either disagree with me or correct me.

Old 10 January 2002, 09:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Ace

Gregoire,

can you list all of QM Pierre Malvoisin's 6 victories, I would like to confirm his Sopwith triplane victories especially.

cheers,

Mike
Old 10 January 2002, 12:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Two-seater Pilot

Tp elaborate on what Dave Kent said, may I quote an excerpt from the Album of the American Fighter Aces Association:

"The US Navy's first ace, David Sinton Ingalls was born in Cleveland, Ohio on 28 January 1899. He attended Yale University where he joined the aviation-oriented Yale Unit (presumably Navy ROTC- albatroid). At the tender age of 18 he was accepted for duty with the US Navy and upon completion of flight training at Pensacola was designated as Naval Aviator No. 85.
Ensign Ingalls was then sent to France in early 1918 where he was assigned coastal patrol duties in the DH-4. Finding that to be dull work, he began to fly missions with the Sopwith Camel-equipped No. 213 Squadron of the RFC/RAF. He flew with the British for three weeks in April, then resumed flying the DH-4. He returned to No. 213 on 9 August and two days later scored his first victory, an Albatros two-seater NE of Dixmude. Over the next two weeks he destroyed four more aircraft and one balloon to become the US Navy's first and only ace in WW1." Recalled to active duty in WW2, Ingalls participated in the development of the Naval air transport service in the Pacific Theater, retiring from the US Naval Reserve as an Admiral. He passed away on April 26, 1985 (as the result of a stroke) in Chagrin Falls, Ohio.
Old 10 January 2002, 12:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Ace

David Sinton Ingalls also flew missions at a U.S. Naval base in an Hanriot HD.2 floatplane. There is a painting in the FMP French book about this.
Old 10 January 2002, 12:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Observer

Hello All,

As mentioned earlier, Friedrich Christiansen achieved a number of his victories (if not all) while flying seaplanes. He was flying one when he attacked a British submarine in the Thames estuary. It is often reported that he sunk it, which is not true, but he came close. The Captain and a number of crewmen were killed on the bridge, but the stricken sub managed to return to base before it foundered. In all, quite a feat in those days.
Old 10 January 2002, 09:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Ace

here is the victory list for Pierre Malvoisin (I do not have the plane he was flying nor the location I will investigate on monday and post then)

- Albatros c 12/4/17
- ennemi plane 3/6/17
- two seater 12/8/17
- albatros D 21/9/17
- Gotha G 31/10/17 (I have seen it as non confirmed)
- 3 seater April 18

NB french navy have never recognised the status of ace and the victory have never been confirmed as there were no comfirmation procedure (you just report)
it must be nottice that Mavoison was one of the two french nvy ace of all time the other being PM Gaston Billottet during ww2

I must state that I use imformation that have been quindly given to me by the french navy expert Lucien Morareau, all credit to him mainly the imformation not given by him were found in his book "L'Aviation maritime française pendant la grande guerre" that I can not advise to much in buying it(if you do not read french the picture worth it)

By the way I giv you the french navy aviation freind association web page
http://www.aeronavale.org/
Old 10 January 2002, 10:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
MarkT

Another to achieve all his victories in seaplanes/flyingboats was Gottfried von Banfield.

If there are any more then they are likely to be Austrian as to my knowledge they are the only nation to extensively use flying boats and seaplanes as fighters.

I have a little bit of information on Friedrich Christiansen and will try to dig it out pver the weekend

Old 11 January 2002, 08:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
Forum Ace

Gregoire,

I must agree with you, "L'Aviation maritime française pendant la grande guerre" is a superb book regardless of the language that it is written in. Everyone interested in naval aviation should buy a copy and then learn French!

Lucien has been very generous in his help with my researches as well.

vbr

Mike