The Aerodrome News
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

Learn how to remove ads

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > Aircraft

Aircraft Topics related to WWI aircraft, aircraft engines and armament

Closed Thread

Old 27 April 2003, 01:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
kenderoz

Welcome everybody,

Guys, would any of you be able to give me help on the general Jasta 27 colouration scheme, around the time Hermann Göring was in command, with his all-white Fokker DVII? Any information you can give me regarding other planes would be most appreciated, as unfortunately I only have limited information on the subject, and haven't been that successful on the 'net.

Possibly in the near-future, I'm planning on building a few planes from this Jasta as a small line-up outside a canvas hangar.

Best wishes, Ken. *;D

Old 27 April 2003, 03:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Ace

Ken, took the liberty of e-mailing you some scans from the Osprey #53 Fokker D.VII Aces of WWI. According to the book, Jasta 27 kites sported yellow noses and tails, with wheelcovers and struts sometimes included. However, one of the 27 profiles is Goering's, with white nose and tail (personal marking), and Noltenius', which had a factory green nose, and yellow wheelcovers and yellow horizontal tail feathers. A tiny photo of Klimke's mount doesn't reveal much, but I included it any way. Goering's all white bird was his mount after he left Jasta 27, to take-over JG1. Alles Gute, Rob (If you're Fok-Fan, you really NEED Osprey #53 )
Old 27 April 2003, 06:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Ace of Aces

Dear Kenderoz,

I guess Rob beat me to it in responding to your query !! Yes, Goering's all-white D.VIIF 5125/18 was delivered to him after he took over JG I - though I have my doubts about how much he flew it in combat.

The standard Jasta 27 marking was (according to Helmuth Dilthey's writings) a yellow cowling, tail, struts and wheel covers. I believe this applied to the D.VIIs as well as the earlier triplanes. However, photographic evidence of D.VIIs in these markings is scarce. As Jasta CO, Goering chose to replace the yellow markings with his own personal white color to distinguish his aircraft. Thus Goering's combat reports for his 19th victory(5 June '18) and his 21st victory (17 June) in D.VII 278/18 describe his aircraft as having a 'white engine cowling, white tail' ; his 20th victory was achieved in D.VII 324/18 (June 9, 1918) which was colored similarly. A photo of one of these aircraft (perhaps 278/18) shows white struts and wheel covers as well; the fuselage would have been left in Fokker "streaky" camouflage, with five-color fabric on the wings.

Noltenius' OAW-built machine is a puzzle, as the nose does not appear to have been painted yellow - but it's difficult to tell. The tailplane, at least, could have been yellow. It had his personal markings of red/white bands on the fuselage and upper wing center-section, and is well-known.

Someday I may take a risk and try to depict Klimke's D.VII in a profile, though it doesn't show up well on the photo. It might have had a yellow nose, tail and struts/wheel covers, with his black anchor insignia on a yellow band aft of the cockpit. That, as well as two white-outlined black chevron bands on the top wing. Ernst de Ritter (also spelled de Ridder) reportedly had a 'diving black eagle' painted on a white fuselage band aft of the cockpit, with the usual Jasta markings. He also described Frommherz' D.VII (Frommherz took over as CO following Goering's departure) as having black and red chovron bands on the top wing.

Thanks for the kind words about "D VII Aces", Rob. I might also suggest that Kenderoz pick up "D.VII Anthology 2" from Ray Rimell's Albatros Productions, if possible.

Greg VanWyngarden

Old 27 April 2003, 06:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
kenderoz

Thanks guys for all the help you're giving me. It just goes to show how misleading information from model-kit instruction-leaflets, can be. (The misleading offender was the Revell 1:72nd scale kit). The books that you've recommended to me will definitely be on my purchase list.

Best wishes, Ken. *;D

P.S. I'll let you know how I get on.

Old 27 April 2003, 07:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Ace

Greg, Without your book, I wouldn't have had anything to post! Glad I picked up my copy early, as the local hobby shop sold out their three the first weekend, and even Squadron has it on back-order. Thanks again for giving us such great stuff!! Rob
Closed Thread