Links to Other Sites
Medals and Decorations
The Aerodrome News
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

Learn how to remove ads

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > Art

Art Topics related to WWI aviation artists, art, aircraft profiles, 3D rendering, etc.

Like Tree956Likes

Old 19 August 2008, 07:42 PM   #111 (permalink)
Forum Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by karrart View Post
This was seen previously - an Alb D.II by Kenneth McDonough
Robert Karr
www.karrart.comn
Interesting ... I am curious ... when was that issue of Flying Scale Models published Robert?

Merci
Kirk
Kirk R. Lowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2008, 08:01 PM   #112 (permalink)
Forum Ace

My Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk R. Lowry View Post
Interesting ... I am curious ... when was that issue of Flying Scale Models published Robert?

Merci
Kirk
Published in 2000. There's a little blurb on the inside cover mentioning its previous appearance in '61- and it also said the original had come to light!
Robert Karr
OLD BIRDS STAYING ALIVE - THE AVIATION ART OF ROBERT KARR
karrart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2008, 09:00 PM   #113 (permalink)
Forum Ace
Contributor

Well, magazines are all well and good, and we've seen some great art, but I like the books, so here's a sample of one of the Forum's own, Mike O'Neal. These Datafile size publications by Andrei Alexandrov cover Russian Hydroaeroplanes of WWI. I hope the scans do the original colors justice.

by Mike O'Neal

by Mike O'Neal

There's a few more by Alexandrov with nice cover art I'll dig up later.

Dan
dpolglaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2008, 08:45 PM   #114 (permalink)
Forum Ace of Aces

OK, Dan, back to books!

All right Dan - I only posted the magazine covers because I am running out of books! By the way, thanks for posting those marvelous Russian-themed paintings/covers by Mike O'Neal. Wow!

Here a book cover by the aforementioned Kenneth McDonough:

Gregvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2008, 07:21 AM   #115 (permalink)
Forum Ace
Contributor

No complaints

Greg,

I have no complaints about the magazine covers. I don't have much of that, but I've still got plenty of books to post. It's just a matter of getting to it.

Dan
Old 21 August 2008, 07:49 AM   #116 (permalink)
Forum Ace

My Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregvan View Post
All right Dan - I only posted the magazine covers because I am running out of books! By the way, thanks for posting those marvelous Russian-themed paintings/covers by Mike O'Neal. Wow!

Here a book cover by the aforementioned Kenneth McDonough:

That's a nice one! I like it!

Russ
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Russel...s/103226508613

Russell Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2008, 09:58 AM   #117 (permalink)
Forum Ace

Contributor

My Gallery
So nice in fact

It's so nice in fact I may have to steal the compostion
ONEALM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2008, 04:00 PM   #118 (permalink)
Forum Ace of Aces

An oldie but a goodie

Hi,

Glad you artist types enjoyed the McDonough cover so much. There are a bunch of nice paintings by the same artist within the book.

This is a wonderful little paperback booklet by Owen G. Thetford, one of the very first attempts to record and distribute accurate factual info about the camouflage and markings of WWI aircraft (from Harborough Publishing, Aeromodeller Plans Service Ltd, Leicester). The cover is by British aviation artist C. Rupert Moore, who lived and painted for many years after this book came out. The book also contains wonderful full-color profiles (primitive by today's standards, but pioneering and accurate for their day), as well as many photos sprinkled throughout its 80 pages. It contained one of the first attempts to portray the German printed camouflage fabrics and other finishes, and was specifically aimed at the flying scale modeler in order to facilitate more accurate color schemes on models. The kicker is, it was printed in 1943! I'm still surprised that there was sufficient resources and interest to produce a book about minutiae of the First World War in the midst of Britain's struggle to win the Second.

The markings of the "Albatri" seem to have been based on McCudden's description of the "Greentail Flight" in his book. The colors seen on the FE 2's and Nieuports are quite accurate, and a far cry from the gaudy schemes characteristic of pulp fiction magazines of a few years before.

Gregvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2008, 07:26 PM   #119 (permalink)
Forum Ace

Camouflage '14-18 Aircraft by O.G. Thetford

Bonjour Greg et al

Camouflage '14-18 Aircraft by O.G. Thetford really is remarkable for having been printed in 1943 while war raged again.

The author writes in the introduction "In days of yore authentic information on squadron markings, camouflage colourings, and insignia was deplorably scarce" In days of yore! Thetford continues by commenting that with the publication of the book "there is no longer any excuse for Fokker D VII scouts having the cross patée and Pups painted pink"!

There is a certain irony in the publication of the book ... I imagine someone who, having saved funds, rushes home from the shoppe with the coveted Camouflage '14-18 Aircraft to build the most accurate model of a Fokker D.VII ever hearing an unusual sound which suddenly ceases ... a V1 ... always interruptions for the modeler!

Salut!
Kirk
Kirk R. Lowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2008, 06:49 PM   #120 (permalink)
Forum Ace
Contributor

I have another Russian cover after this, but I can't find the book. I have the picture, and I looked at the book the other day, but didn't write down the artist name. I'll find it, but for now ... a Russian book, and two nice covers from some older Osprey titles.

unknown

unknown - but probably Michael Trim or G.A. Embleton

by Michael Roffe

Dan