Links to Other Sites
Medals and Decorations
The Aerodrome News
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

Learn how to remove ads

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > Art

Art Topics related to WWI aviation artists, art, aircraft profiles, 3D rendering, etc.

Closed Thread

Old 22 October 2008, 10:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Ace

My Gallery
Ernst Udet's Albatros DVa D4476/17

(or DV, rather, not DVa)

This piece is simply meant to be an aircraft portrait of Ernst Udet's Albatros DV, #4476/17. He flew this bird in late summer/early fall 0f 1917 while with Jasta 37. It featured a varnished plywood fuselage, 5 color lozenge on the wings and rudder, a black and white striped horizontal stabilizer and his usual "LO" emblem on the side.

Unfortunately the scanner picked up some glare off the weave of the canvas, particularly at the bottom. I'm probably going to release open editions of this image, but in order to do so I'll need to have it professionally shot. A good photographer can get rid of the glare.

The landscape is loosely based on the village of Phalempin, where J37 was based during the period.

On Morning's Golden Wing
oil on linen
24.25" x 14.5"

(in case anyone is is curious, it doesn't have an owner yet.)
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Russel...s/103226508613

Sponsored Links
Old 22 October 2008, 10:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Ace

Outstanding art work!

Hi Russell,

Your art work is outstanding, I am very impressed! The Albatros D.V's and D.Va's were very nice looking aeroplanes, and your painting is very realistic. It is almost as good as a photograph, maybe better! Your colours are faultless. They are very realistic. I would like to point something out, and please take it as constructive criticism, and not an attempt to diminish the enormous effort you have made to create such a masterpiece. Many people when they depict the Albatros and similar First World War German aeroplanes forget about or don't know that they generally had very noticeable washout, especially in the ailerons, which of course are on the top wing in most cases. The lower wing also has washout, from around the V strut (I don't have information to hand which tells me which rib exactly, and when I looked at an original it seemed to be slightly different on each side) out to the wing tip. the washout on the lower wing is far less noticeable, but it is there if you know what you are looking for. The more pronounced washout in the ailerons is very noticeable, and it is a distinctive feature of many WW1 German aeroplanes. I hope this helps. If you included washout in your art, it would be even more realistic!

FANTASTIC WORK RUSSELL!!! I am a fan of your work. cheers, David.
Old 23 October 2008, 02:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Ace

My Gallery
Hi 14-18. Thanks for your comments. The washout actually is there (trust me, I did the drawing twice in order to get it right), but the low viewing angle combined with the fact that the near aileron has a bit of downward deflection on it (b/c he's turning to SB) means that you don't get to see quite as much of it as you might want to.

Probably doesn't help that you're looking at a very small version of the image on your screen either.

Russ

Old 23 October 2008, 02:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Ace

My Gallery
for my own clarity

this is what you're talking about, isn't it?

Old 23 October 2008, 03:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Ace

Yes that's it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Smith View Post
this is what you're talking about, isn't it?

Thanks for understanding Russell, and for not taking my comments the wrong way. You are absolutely correct, and I was mistaken! What you have pointed out is the washout, and you are correct, I did overlook it. With the yellow lines in place it certainly is very pronounced, and I just didn't realise it was there when I first saw the art work! I should have put a card up on the screen before I commented, and when I did put a card on the screen, combined with the yellow lines you placed on yout art work, the washout is there, and it is very pronounced, as it should be.

Congratulations on creating a masterpiece! Cheers, David.
Old 23 October 2008, 03:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Ace

My Gallery
Thanks David. I wanted to make sure that I was understanding correctly too. Like I said, its probably just not as obvious when you're looking at a tiny version of the image onscreen.

Russ

Old 23 October 2008, 04:00 AM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Ace

Thanks for being a good sport about it ...

Thanks Russell, yes it is a small screen, and I was looking and it really did look straight. I don't know how you and others produce such realistic art work! It is truly inspiring! I have been studying the Albatros for a long time and you would be surprised how many modellers and artists seem to forget about the washout. Since you have pointed out that it actually is there, and that the small screen may be a contributing factor towards overlooking this, I might have incorrectly criticised others for the same thing. Thanks for being understanding about this, and congratulations on your masterpiece! Cheers, David.
Closed Thread