Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

Learn how to remove ads

The Aerodrome Forum

Learn how to remove ads

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Topics related to WWI aviation authors, books and magazines

Closed Thread

Old 28 March 2011, 07:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Ace

Reconnaissance & Bomber Aircraft of the 1914-1918 War

This weekend I picked up this book at my local model show, it is part of the harleyford Publications series published in 1962. This copy was missing the dust jacket and must have gotten some moisture in the edges of the cover over the years, there is discoloration of the yellow fabric and slight wrinkles on the edges of the endleaves but the text pages remained dry and wrinkle free. Despite this is it still considered a good reference book? it has 229 pages full of photos, detail photos and 1/72 scale drawings with several fold out pages for the larger bombers.
Wondering what the value of this book is, I know it is rarer than the Fighters book but not sure how rare it is. If anyone is interested in this copy I may be willing to trade for something similar or some newer Windsock books out of my price range...
Thanks
Dave
Sponsored Links
Old 28 March 2011, 08:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Ace of Aces

Dave,

It's quite rare, and a classic in its time. I paid quite a bit for mine, and that was some time ago. Check ABEbooks and some of the other used books sites and see what they're going for.

Enjoy it.

Greg

Old 29 March 2011, 12:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Ace

Still useful after all these years, Sir. I am very glad to have gotten a fresh copy several years ago, replacing one lost in my adventurous youth. No idea what the wife paid for it...
Old 29 March 2011, 12:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Two-seater Pilot

My Gallery
Well done Dave. It's a classic this one and second only in value (in the Harleyfords WW1 series) to their Marine Aircraft.
Printed in the days when the letterpress process could retain printed contrast that litho seemed to "flatten". With nice fine 3-views too.
Mine cost me 55.00 about 10 years ago.
I HOPE it's worth a wee bit more now at least - in this litho-printed world.

Al
Old 29 March 2011, 09:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Scout Pilot

I have the series, including the Marine Aircraft book, and would tell you to hold onto your copy as it's a good reference and you will likely regret trading it. Too bad the condition isn't a bit better but you got a bargain either way.

By the way, while my copy of this one is mint it also does not have the DJ (the only one in my collection without it) and if anyone could supply a high res scan of the jacket for this book so I could have my own printed, I'd be very much obliged!
Old 29 March 2011, 09:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Ace

I picked these two up from a dealer at a gun show of all places about 15 years ago for $15.00 apiece..... I think he noticed how fast I pulled out my wallet.....He also had Fighter Aircraft of the 1914-1918 War..... I had a soft cover reprint so I purchased this in hardbound...I wish the covers were in better condition .... but they do get used

The Reconnaissance & Bomber Aircraft book has an acetate cover over the dust jacket.

Ken H.

Old 29 March 2011, 03:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Two-seater Pilot

Hello; Bought it in 1962 from my British bookseller for about $9.00 plus shipping. Still in fine shape and about the best book out on those topics. He sent 14 of the Harleyfords total as each title came out, all about the same price. Too sad all those great old UK booksellers are gone now. Sic Transit Gloria.
Old 30 March 2011, 02:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Ace of Aces

Contributor

I also have Air Aces of the 14 - 18 War and Von Richthofen and the Flying Circus from this series - Wouldn't part with any of them ! Wish I Had Sopwith the man and his aircraft as well.
Old 30 March 2011, 03:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
Two-seater Pilot

My Gallery
Hello Breguet

I was on AbeBooks yesterday and there are lots of the Sopwith book about on their site and at not too deadly a price either..........
Old 30 March 2011, 06:38 AM   #10 (permalink)
Forum Ace

Harleyford Books

Lots available:

Harleyford Publications ltd - AbeBooks

Cliff
Closed Thread