Help
Links to Other Sites
Medals and Decorations
The Aerodrome News
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

Learn how to remove ads

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > Aircraft > Camouflage and Markings

Camouflage and Markings Topics related to the camouflage and markings of WWI aircraft

Closed Thread

Old 22 October 2007, 07:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
JFM
Forum Ace

Contributor

My Gallery
Fokker Engine-Turned Cowls

Hello,

Does anybody have a clear shot they can post of a Fokker engine-turned cowl? Airplane type doesn't matter. I have the E.III datafile and Squadron/Signal Eindecker in action but I'm trying to gather photos that are perhaps clearer and/or without as much glare so I can better see the random patterns and overall texture.

Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Old 22 October 2007, 04:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Taz
Forum Ace

Contributor

JFM- See if this helps.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Fokker D and E Scouts Cowl Detail.jpg
Old 23 October 2007, 09:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Ace

cowl

Hey Taz, how did they get that finish on the cowl, what was the technique used? The Aviatik 30.40 is done the same way it seems. Thanks.
Old 24 October 2007, 04:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
JFM
Forum Ace

Contributor

My Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz View Post
JFM- See if this helps.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Attachment 8517
Thank you for that. I really appreciate it.
Old 24 October 2007, 08:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
Taz
Forum Ace

Contributor

John- The cowling and other aluminum panels were made out of sheet aluminum which had been engine turned for corrosion resistance while still in sheet form. The sheet metal was then formed into the appropriate shape. For aluminum, most engine turners recommend a wooden dowel with polishing compound to make the engine turns (also called jeweling) and a jig to ensure symmetry. On the Eindecker engine turned panels the pattern is more random and looks like a hanging drill press or hand held drill was used to cover the sheet without worrying too much about symmetry. After each pass with the dowl and polishing compound, the drill would be raised to recharge the dowl with polishing compound and a new swirl pattern made.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Last edited by Taz; 24 October 2007 at 09:30 PM.
Old 24 October 2007, 05:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Two-seater Pilot

Exclamation And here could be an even BETTER photo...

Dear JFM & Taz:

The PIPE Here...and I've included a photo with this forum reply, that was scanned from a page in WW I Aero (I've GOTTA re-up with that fine magazine SOON) that's been on my hard disk for some time now, that REALLY shows off the "dragged swirls" that virtually EVERY single metal surface...exterior AND INTERIOR......that the entire Eindecker series had on them, right from the quintet of M.5K/MG pre-production prototypes (my personal favorites, particularly for RC Giant Scale) through to the "whale-like handling" E IV.

Hope this helps...it's got GREAT detail...and if you notice, that photo even captures the REAL FACT that the upper longeron joint coming off the top panel even has a house-roof-like SOFFIT overhang at the top edge of the side panels behind the engine cowl...THAT is a fact of the E III version that I've best seen in this very photo, that every really GOOD quality RC Scale model (Giant Scale and otherwise) of the E III that I've encountered has omitted...perhaps because they haven't seen a photo like this one yet???

Just hope it "loads" all right...

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The E III's Cowl Ledge and Swirls-sm.jpg (47.6 KB, 151 views)
Old 24 October 2007, 05:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Ace

My Gallery
Uhhm, would the cowl on the V4 triplane been finished similary to the photo mr. pipe shared? From what I can tell from the references I have, they look a like.

tia

Tea Party Patriotism = Backward Easy Thinking
Old 24 October 2007, 06:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
Taz
Forum Ace

Contributor

PIPE- Great photo, thanks. I just grabbed the first original photo I came to for my image.

Tim- The V.4, WN 1661, and V.5s F.I 101/17, WN 1697, F.I 102/17, WN 1729 and F.I 103/17, WN 1730 all had cowls made from what looks like the same supplier's (as the M series aircraft) engine turned aluminum. 102/17's engine turning on the cowl can be seen through the paint on good images, but 103/17's cowling was overpainted (no, I am not sure what color) and no engine turning showed through. Most likely the upper and lower aluminum panels on these four aircraft were also engine turned. They were definitely engine turned on the V.4 and first V.5. Engine turned aluminum was probably not used on most production Dr.Is since the panels and cowling were mostly overpainted and engine turned panels were more expensive. Some late Dr.Is, which were delivered directly to a Jastaschule, had at least their cowls left in plain, unpainted, non-engine turned aluminum.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Last edited by Taz; 24 October 2007 at 07:13 PM.
Old 24 October 2007, 09:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Ace

cowl

Thanks guys, can anyone explaine the technique used to apply the "dragged swirls"? Taz, I wish this was just uniform engine turning because that would be easy to duplicate. Guess I'll have to experiment a bit.
Old 24 October 2007, 09:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Taz
Forum Ace

Contributor

John- Nope.

Taz
Terry Phillips
Closed Thread