About a month ago I decided to bring my 1/4 GTM EV/DVIII out of mothballs.
This plane was my first WW1 build and my first attempt at using linen and dope. Needless to say it came out very tail heavy and took 3 1/4lbs of lead to balance and brought the overall weight in at 20lbs. Tried two engines in it, a 170 3cyl and a 160 twin, both flew the plane but very marginal, so after a few pucker factor 10 flights and a radio glitch I put it away, just brought it out for static display.
First thing I did to lighten it was to strip the tailfeathers of the linen and dope, since it has Jasta 6 markings the linen wasn't needed. Recovered with Nelsons Lite-Fab, saved 3oz there.
Replaced the engine with a Saito 30cc gasser, it was a little heaver but the mounts set it forward a little more which was a big help.
Then I made a mount for the two battery packs that put their weight right behind the cowl face, same thing with the ignition mod.
After everything was done the weight came in at 16 1/2lbs, I was estatic and it was a much happier plane.
Replace the old radio with a new Airtronics 2.4 and that took care ot the radio issues.
We got two perfect flights on it this past weekend at the Hoosier DP, which made me a very happy camper........