Medals and Decorations
The Aerodrome News
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

Learn how to remove ads

The Aerodrome Forum

Learn how to remove ads

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > Games and Flight Sims

Games and Flight Sims Topics related to Red Baron, Dawn Patrol and other WWI aviation games

Closed Thread

Old 14 October 2005, 08:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
Honza

best game?

Hi all you pilots!
What's nowdays the best ww1 sim? I bought RB3 some years ago baut I discarded it, because I was absolutely not satisfied. Since the time (6 years ?) I haven't played any ww1 sim. So is RB3 with all the patches still the best? Maybe I really overslept and there's much better game

Old 14 October 2005, 09:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Two-seater Pilot

not out yet, but this should be quite good

http://off.oldbrowndog.net/
Old 14 October 2005, 12:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Brakovitch

Wings of War is the only game that has come out in the last 12 months or so and IMHO it is a good one with a couple of servers always up for the budding Biggles or Red Baron to hunt on. It has got a firm user support base with a couple of user groups out there. I think you can still order it from the following link:

http://www.gathering.com/wingsofwar/

Old 14 October 2005, 04:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Two-seater Pilot

Depends on what you want. If you want a sim of World War One in the air, Red Baron 3d with the Full Canvas Jacket superpatch is pretty much the best you're going to get.

For more arcadey, less realistic fun in which you shoot down nearly a thousand enemy planes, Wings Of War is great fun.
Old 15 October 2005, 08:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
Honza

Blue Max,
I don't agree with you that RB3 is so realistic. Here are some reasons:
1) Much more realistic was Flying Corpse, but there was a poor campaign. In contrast to flying corpse in RB3 it was nearly impossible to shot me down even if I played the hardest level.
2) Very often I for example was met by Max Immelman who I killed some days ago
3) Every Fight was done only in low altitudes because if you flew higher there were simply no planes!!!
4)Planes physic was absolutely unrealistic in contrast to Flying Corps. Sometimes my Fokker EIII was faster and could outclimb Sopwith Camel and sometimes I couldn't reach BE2 sitting in my Forkker dVII
Ok I am speaking here only about its disadvantages, it has many other advntages!!! But these were the reasons why I canceled playing RB3.
I always wanted something like compromise between RB3 and Red Baron creating from advantages from both game.
Honza

Old 16 October 2005, 11:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
Two-seater Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honza
Blue Max,
I don't agree with you that RB3 is so realistic. Here are some reasons:
1) Much more realistic was Flying Corpse, but there was a poor campaign. In contrast to flying corpse in RB3 it was nearly impossible to shot me down even if I played the hardest level.
2) Very often I for example was met by Max Immelman who I killed some days ago
3) Every Fight was done only in low altitudes because if you flew higher there were simply no planes!!!
4)Planes physic was absolutely unrealistic in contrast to Flying Corps. Sometimes my Fokker EIII was faster and could outclimb Sopwith Camel and sometimes I couldn't reach BE2 sitting in my Forkker dVII
Ok I am speaking here only about its disadvantages, it has many other advntages!!! But these were the reasons why I canceled playing RB3.
I always wanted something like compromise between RB3 and Red Baron creating from advantages from both game.
Honza
I'm having a lot of difficulty getting Flying Corps to play on my system, unfortunately, so I can't speak to the realism of the sim. How are you playing it on your system?

However, the Full Canvas Jacket patch significantly adjusts a couple of the campaign issues you mention, especially the AI of the other pilots. I've never run across pilots I've shot and killed before in RB3D, although I have definitely run across pilots I shot down and wounded. I haven't had the trouble you have mentiopned with the physics--I don't think I've ever been able to outclimb a Camel in any sort of Eindekker. Certainly it's up to you if you want to pay another $30 for something you're not wholly enchanted with, but of the WWI flight sims I've played, Red Baron 3D with the Full Canvas Jacket superpatch feels the most realistic to me.

But maybe I'll change my mind if I can bloody well get Flying Corps to work...
Old 17 October 2005, 05:48 AM   #7 (permalink)
Observer

You should try: Master of the Skies the Red Ace. Its not a cd-rom game, its a download game. it's made by "Small Rockets" and its on real-arcade. not the best graphics, but otherwise an excellent game.
Old 17 October 2005, 02:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Honza

Blue Max,
Flying Corpse is older than RB3 ( 1996 ), but has much bigger system requirements. I remember I used to play it succesfully on pentium celeron 500 128 mb Ram or something like this. Flying Corpse was the most briliant game regarding to tactics in ww1. One had to really think about the situation in the air and could avoid fight or go for it. But the campaign was not good there so I canceled it after some time. By the way screen shots from "Over the Flanders Fields" look great!!!

Old 29 October 2005, 12:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Observer

S! Honza,

RB3D for me, never could get Flying Corps to run saddly.

Also check out Richtofen's Skies http://www.richthofens-skies.com/combat_report_1.html and Open Door WWI http://www.fsww1.com/

S! Murph

Last edited by MPH_Murph; 29 October 2005 at 12:32 PM.
Old 29 October 2005, 01:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Two-seater Pilot

I agree that Red Baron 3d (out of the box) was inferior to Flying Corps as a flight-sim "experience" while "in game". however, there are LOTS of patches. if you have the time to download the 60 meg Western Front Patch from from swwisa.net I think you'll have the best WWI flight-sim out there.

add the Promised Land Graphics and the Western Front Patch together (you've got to use a campaign manager to use the date-based patches) and you've got the BEST WWI flight-sim experience out there.

JG1 (an RB3d Squadron) started a "Flanders in Flames" online tournament that's probably the best online WWI flight-sim experience I've ever had. they have a one-life-per-night rule during tournament sessions and they (along with several other squadrons) work very hard at producing a "realistic" flight-sim experience. I don't believe "Flanders in Flames" is still being conducted, but you can find the patches online...

Honza, the Red Baron 3d you encountered 6 years ago can't be compared to what's actually being played now. you've got over 100 different aircraft being modeled, and the damage and flight models are MUCH better. I agree, with RB3d that if I can take out 7 Nieuport 17s in a Fokker E.III during a campaign that something is terribly, terribly wrong. the patched versions of RB (as previously described) are VAST improvements.

I haven't seen any other games offer such a great immersive experience... Flying Corps simply does NOT work for any of the computers I've had in the last 6 years. I really liked what I saw there... especially with the scenery based on WWI maps, and the mission builder was superior to RB in power and versatility. the AI gunners were a bit TOO good, though... it was like Frederick Libby and Rene Fonck sitting in the back of every two-seater taking turns perforating your skull!
Closed Thread