Links to Other Sites
Medals and Decorations
The Aerodrome News
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

Learn how to remove ads

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > Games and Flight Sims

Games and Flight Sims Topics related to Red Baron, Dawn Patrol and other WWI aviation games

Closed Thread

Old 16 June 2003, 06:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
HistoryDude

Here's a problem for the game wizards on the forum. I've never had a problem with RB2 or the old super patch to 3D. But, I got a new computer a few months ago and just got around to getting a new joystick, went to play RB and now have two problems that I want to see if anyone has any ideas about ???

My computer is a Dell, pentium 4, 2.0 Ghz, 256 Mb/RAM, with a 64 MB GeForce MX Graphics video card and integrated sound. I loaded RB2 and then downloaded and loaded the super patch. The first problem is that the sound worked the first time I fired it up, but won't work after exiting and getting back into the game...I've tried re-booting the computer and re-loading both game and patch...same thing happened.

The second problem is my Microsoft Sidewinder joystick with USB plug (which is all I can use on my Dell) won't even work in the game. I tried testing it and calibrating it, and I still can't control flight with the joystick in the game. Did I need to specify glide compatibility when loading the super patch?

Has this happened to anyone else? Or does anyone have any suggestions? Just another RB3D enthusiast frustrated and in need of help!

Thanks.

Old 16 June 2003, 09:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Observer

SaluTe!
I think (yes...sometimes i do ) your sound trouble is due to your Operating System (WinXP) so you should be able to fix it simply following these instructions :

When RB3d is first installed on a Windows XP system everything works perfectly. However, when you bring the game up a second time you don't get any sound and the preferences you set may not be working. This is directly related to two preference files that RB3D writes to your hard drive at the end of each session....rbprefs.dat and mpprefs.dat. Windows XP seems to be unable to read these files.

The only way to resolve this problem is to delete the rbprefs.dat (for single player) and/or the mpprefs.dat (for multiplayer) EACH TIME BEFORE YOU START A GAME. The rbprefs.dat file is in C :SierraRedBaron3DData and the mpprefs.cat file is one level deeper in C : SierraRedBaron3DDataMulti (assuming that you accepted the default install path when you set up the game).

You will now have sound but you will need to reset your game preferences each time. Another suggested fix that I haven't personally tried is to create an empty folder called rbprefs.dat and another called mpprefs.dat (in the multi folder). I've heard that this prevents RB3D from overwriting the .dat files.

For the joystick problem, sorry but i dunno...when i played RB2 online i was famous for be the only one without it ... 8)

Old 16 June 2003, 10:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
HistoryDude

Thanks, Mr. Von Doom! I'll give it a shot. Anyone on the joystick? Anyone use the Microsoft Sidewinder USB plug...or other microsoft joysticks and have problems with them?

Old 17 June 2003, 08:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
Observer

HistoryDude:

I don't know if RB can handle digital joysticks. Since you said your computer can only use digital, then you may have a problem. What you can do is check your sound card (if you have one) or buy a cheap soundcard that has an analog game controller input and try an analog in that.
Old 17 June 2003, 09:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
HistoryDude

Logan:

Bummer...now I'm depressed. So much for USB devices saying just "Plug and play"!

Old 17 June 2003, 09:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
vonLemming

HistoryDude,

I have no experience with WWI flight sims but I bought Combat Flight Simulator 2 after I had my XP for a while and only then discovered there was nowhere to plug in my old joystick (thanks to my economizing on the computer build.) *A USB Sidewinder was just the ticket for that title but I have nothing to offer for your dilemma but sympathy. *I am feeling your pain. * :'(

Old 17 June 2003, 09:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
HistoryDude

All right, now the Forum is a support group, too! I'm loving this!

And thanks for the sympathy...computers can be frustrating...like all the time! I've got another computer wiz connection to try...so I won't lose hope, yet! I'll report on that if its successful.

Old 17 June 2003, 10:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Ace

The first problem is that the sound worked the first time I fired it up, but won't work after exiting and getting back into the game...I've tried re-booting the computer and re-loading both game and patch...same thing happened.
I'm guessing your OS is Win XP. If so, go to Reb Rens site and download the patch "sound on"

http://www.xs4all.nl/~rensg/red_baron_utilities.htm

The second problem is my Microsoft Sidewinder joystick with USB plug (which is all I can use on my Dell) won't even work in the game.

Can't help you directly here. I've always used Logitech Digital Joysticks (currently Extreme Digital 3D) with no problem. However, if you post at the Delphi SWISSA board,
http://forums.delphiforums.com/swwisa/start
or
http://forums.delphiforums.com/flight/start
someone will be sure to help you. I expect your question re the Sidewinder has been answered before, just check the archived threads. Or just pose the question, someone will have the answer.
cheers,
shredward
Old 17 June 2003, 11:39 AM   #9 (permalink)
HistoryDude

Thanks to both, shredward!

Old 20 June 2003, 08:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
Scout Pilot

RB3D works just fine with digital joysticks, I'm using a Logitech Extreme 3D with it with the twisty handle for rudders. It won't work a digital joystick AND digital rudderpedals, it is almost as if it can't make sense of out all of the inputs so it ignores the rudder pedals. A pity, but I can live with it.

I believe I have seen references to problems with the Microsoft Sidewinder and RB3D.

Your sound problems are definately XP related and are easy to get around, just follow previous advice.
Closed Thread