Medals and Decorations
The Aerodrome News
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

Learn how to remove ads

The Aerodrome Forum

Learn how to remove ads

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > Archives > Models

Models Topics related to WWI aircraft models. Forum is closed for posting.

Old 13 August 2005, 02:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
jernst

Fokker D.VII - Roden vs. Eduard

I'll be the first to admit that I don't follow all the threads here (and on other Forums) about all the different kits that hit the market.

I know the Eduard just released their 1/48 D.VII, and the reviews are very good. Is there a thread somewhere that briefly compares the Eduard and Roden D.VII kits listing advantages / disadvantages of each?

I believe I read several comments about the poor quality of the Roden kit decals, and some engine 'fit' problems.

I've got 4 of the Roden versions on the shelf, and I'm wondering if I should sell them to buy the Eduard....

Thanks

john ernst

Old 13 August 2005, 03:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Ace

Since you already have those Roden kits I'd say: keep 'em! Because:

1. Eduard's and Roden's offerings are not exactly the same. Not yet. Eduard's first D.VII kit is late and and mid OAW, not yet available as Roden kits. They have announced the mid OAW, but the late OAW may never come. They did not include this production variant to their 1/72 line of D.VIIs. And the other way around, Eduard has announced, IIRC, to kit six production variants all together. Some of the Roden early types, like the early OAW, might not be included.

2. You might like to do a model with the engine cowling partly or fully removed. Roden kit is definitely better for this option.

3. You might prefer very smooth wing rib detailing. Roden is better in this too.

4. Yes, Rodel decals are poor. However, for Fokker D.VII there is some aftermarket decals (The situation with quite a few other Roden kits is more difficult. ). You paid much less for your Roden kits than you'll have to pay for the Eduard kits, so you kinda have some extra money to invest for the aftermarket decals.

5. In Eduard D.VII kits there are parts for two full fuselages. You might like to try to use the extra fuselage with a Roden kit, to avoid the reported fitting problems of Roden's own nose parts.

Mikko
Old 26 August 2005, 05:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Shot Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by jernst
I'll be the first to admit that I don't follow all the threads here (and on other Forums) about all the different kits that hit the market...I know the Eduard just released their 1/48 D.VII, and the reviews are very good. Is there a thread somewhere that briefly compares the Eduard and Roden D.VII kits listing advantages / disadvantages of each?
Greetings jernst; in my opinion, The new Eduard kits is a finely cut mold. The new gen exploded view intructions are great. There is even an errata leaflet in current issues my first two kits didn't have. While the new four colour lozenge camouflage has its strong points and prove that Eduard is finally moving in the right direction. Though I like my version of weathering better than theirs, they are trying. If Eagle Strike ia an A+++ then Eduard's is a B-.

Quote:
I believe I read several comments about the poor quality of the Roden kit decals, and some engine 'fit' problems.
Comparingly; Today, Roden though far ahead in its 1/48 molds after three years. Their decals had serious general use short comings. Eduard was in the same boat in 1995 with brittle super thin decals that required similar care. Today, Eduard is multi media and targets the average modeler. Its a bigger market. Very nice national & personal markings decals though. They still have a large fret of detailed nickel coated photoetch that is a grandslam in the plus coloumn.

Roden is all plastic and has detail pieces Eduard does not. They target both avearge and extreme modeler markets by providing more display options.

Quote:
I've got 4 of the Roden versions on the shelf, and I'm wondering if I should sell them to buy the Eduard.... Thanks john ernst
The Roden kits average cost is 18:00USD each. The Eduard averages just under 36.00USD each (suggested MRP 39.95 USD.) For the same airframe. It just depends on what you want. But your trading four for two in the cost factors.

Last edited by StephenLawson; 27 August 2005 at 02:48 PM.
Old 27 August 2005, 07:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Shot Down

Wow! I came home this AM and found 12 e-mails on the subject above from people asking for more info I'll try to answer your queries here.

First of all it is a fine kit. As advertised it gives you enough parts to build one of four Fokker D.VII type manufactured by OAW (East German Albatros Works.) The instructions are ground breaking for WWI kits. 24 page slick cover using exploded computer generated images. Two pages of text, parts map, regular and reverse ( for cockpit interior) 4 colour lozenge, Lots of photoetch including some very fine gauges and etc.

Minor typos include the listing of Mercedes D.IIIa should be D.IIIaü and Ltn Hasso von Wedel was commander of Jasta 24s not 23s.Also all wing mounted national crosses do or should have white borders. Decals do have these its just an omission of the instructions. On the engines Eduard has finally gotten the rocker boxes correct. (It only took them 12 years.) Two of the four kit propellers with the cones on the bosses are quick release items seen on BMW engine variants only. The green and white striped tail unit on Ltn. Franz Büchners Jasta 13 machine is unconfirmed by any photos I have seen on the subject. Should be the same blue as the fuselage. But he may have had more than one machine painted in this scheme. Recent studies of Jasta 58 machines say that orange may be an alternative to the black tail half? The lozenge has intermittent black and tan microdots unevenly spaced over the all surfaces to attempt weathering...not convincing. (Discussed elsewhere on the "Drome" models title.) Just my opinion

Last edited by StephenLawson; 27 August 2005 at 07:50 AM.
Old 27 August 2005, 08:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
Capt. Kit Basher

Oaw

Wow Mr Lawson, as always your vast knowledge never fails to impress...however I always thought OAW was the Austrian (Oesterreiche) Albatross Works but perhaps it is I that are confused. Thanks for sharing your vast trove of information with us.

Oh and it's simply "top flight" to be able to access the 'Drome again.

Regards,
Your local Basher

Old 27 August 2005, 02:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Shot Down

Capt Kit Basher; Always nice to hear from you. Ostdeutsche Albatros Werke... Ostdeutsche = East German.
Old 27 August 2005, 03:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Capt. Kit Basher

Ach vielen danke, Herr Lawson! I appreciate your adding to my edification and that of our fellow 'Dromers too.

Now if I only knew what Oef was...
Brian von Basher

Old 27 August 2005, 04:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Shot Down

Oeffag = "Oesterreiche Flugzeug & Fabrik Amallgemie Gmbh" or Austrian Aircraft Manufacturing Co. I may have to check on the spelling of "Amallgemie" but it means amalgamated.

Last edited by StephenLawson; 27 August 2005 at 04:30 PM.
Old 27 August 2005, 10:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenLawson
Two of the four kit propellers with the cones on the bosses are quick release items seen on BMW engine variants only.
The kit instructions suggest BMW engine for the von Wedel and Büchner machines. A quick search through my D.VII references gave me no information about BMWs in OAW machines. Were they used?

The Eduard kit's rib tape decals and instructions are also a bit wrong, aren't they? There should not be rib tapes on ailerons, should there? But there should be tapes on the wing edges. Eduard has forgotten these. There are some extra rib tape on the decal sheets, but not enough I'm afraid

Mikko
Old 27 August 2005, 11:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Forum Ace

Alas, seems there is still no "perfect" kit available. But then are we modelers or kit assemblers?