I recently picked up the 1/48 Aeroclub BE12 as well as the datafile on the BE12 / BE12a / BE12b. What has perked my interest up as an interesting subject to model is the BE12b. Whilst the BE12 was a single seat derivative of the BE2, the BE12b was a derivative of the BE12 but fitted with a Hispano Suiza engine (the same engine fitted to SE5a's). The BE12b was almost exclusively used as a night fighter in home defence squadrons through 1917 and 1918.
After inquiring around the traps if anyone produced a kit of the BE12b and getting many "nope" type responses, I figured I could model a BE12b by kitbashing the Aeroclub BE12 with a Roden SE5a to form the basis of a BE12b. This would be a bit of a challenge and would involve a good degree of work (Aeroclub kits tend to be a bit of work anyways).
Well I've made a small start on this fairly long term project. The first thing I did was cut the cowl from the Aeroclub BE12 in the right spot:
And next the cowling of the Roden SE5a was removed:
Next I spliced in some plastic as filler at the rear of the SE5a's cowling, and sanded the remainder of the cowl to shape. This included removal of all of the surface detail.
Once the general shape was correct, I added cowling details from sheet plastic, and scribed the appropriate panel lines. The cooling louvers were added from metal foil. Here's a pic of the cowling dry fitted to the fuselage and radiator demonstrating the completely different cowl arrangements between the BE12 and BE12b.
At the moment I am finishing off the starboard side of the cowl, then work will commence on the cockpit. My references here are scarce (including the datafile...)
I'm planning to update this thread as I proceed through the project but y'all let me know if this is borin' ya! All feedback welcome.