Links to Other Sites
Medals and Decorations
The Aerodrome News
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

Learn how to remove ads

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > Archives > Models

Models Topics related to WWI aircraft models. Forum is closed for posting.

Old 5 December 2008, 04:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
Two-seater Pilot

What is the origin of this kit?

I saw in the Squadron supplement a 1/72 scale model of a Pfalz DIIIa released by a company called Encore USA. It is a bagged kit, $5.99, Stock # EC72001. It has one marking for Busso von Alvensleben's machine. Their site won't let me to copy a picture here (even if I knew how!).

I wonder what the origin of this kit is? Old Meikraft mold? A leased mold of the MAC Distribution kit? Leased Roden mold? This one has me wondering. Judging from the price, I'd be surprised if it is new tooling. Any thoughts, guesses?

Last edited by Paddy; 5 December 2008 at 05:33 AM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Old 5 December 2008, 05:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Ace of Aces

Contributor

Hello Paddy,

Very interesting. It's on the back of 2008 Squadron - Your Online Hobby Shop: Mail Order Military Scale Plastic Models and Books's monthly flyer for December.
I don't have a clue of it's origin.

From the back of the flyer it says;

"ENCORE E MODELS _____________________________1:72 Scale
FROM USA _____________________________________NEW

ECONO KIT Pfalz D.IIIa 'Econo-Kit'
Bagged kit, Luftstreitkrfte streamlined and rugged biplane fighter kit. Features detailed exterior, engine, and cockpit. Aeromaster decals and painting reference for a single aircraft: Ltn. Busso von Alvensleben, June 1918.
EC72001 $5.99"

It's $2.00 higher than some of EDUARD's "Bagged" kits (last that I looked, they offered a Fokker Dr.I and an Albatros D.III or D.V (bagged) for $3.99!)).

I don't know where this came from or the quality of the tooling. It sounds worth a look see.

With the usual left over decals and some aftermarket decals, I like these options and wish that there were more available. Hopefully it's a decent offering.

HAPPY TRAILS, FOKKERJ

Old 5 December 2008, 06:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Ace

Hey let me know if you go for it ? I happen to have a limited number of 72nd PART PE Frets in stock right now and one in particular which would fit this kit. Albiet it may cost near twice as much as the Kit?

Pfalz DIII

Of course I hope you have a Jeweler's Loop and a surgeon's hand of "Steel" to use this Scale PE Detail ?

Of Course I have to agree in part with Fok J for this Price, is it really an issue ? THe Art Work is impressive. I too noted I hadn't heard of 'Encore" Either prior to the Ad. Although I was not surprised, My experince looking over "bagged" Kits in general has been they often are of some off-off or one-off Eastern European or other foriegn Make.

I wouldn't be too concerned over it not being "boxed" Often these tiny one-off manufactuers may not have the resources to afford "Printing Art Work & and Boxing" All which are an escalating cost when producing a limited run kit. Often too some injection mold processors hire out on batch type runs to anyone with masters and investment making it possible for small makers to get in the game and produce a product.

I never paid much attention before becuase A) its too small for me to tell B) FOr the price I could afford a dozen of em ?

Yours Mike

Last edited by mgtaylor; 5 December 2008 at 06:12 AM.
Old 5 December 2008, 08:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
Scout Pilot

I heard somewhere that Encore was owned by Squadron, but can't find the source for that.

The Pfalz's seem to be sold out anyway.
Old 5 December 2008, 08:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Shot Down

This a guess but because the old Meikraft company was based in Dallas TX. And with Squadron being in Carrollton (North Dallas), I am thinking they may have acquired some of the old plastic sprues for his 1/72 Pfalz D.III / IIIa kit. I would have to see the sprues to be positive. I heard that someone close to his widow got most of the WWI stuff and sold it off locally and then on e-bay. Squadron may have access to the old slush molds (they are located in an industrial park and have a local injection mold company pumping out some copies.)
Old 8 December 2008, 02:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Ace

From what I remeber, Encore picks up the molds of companies that have gone bust, most from East Europe. Dont make me swear on my mothers eyes but didnt ToKo make a III? I still have one of the Toko N.XI in my stash and its a nice kit. So I wouldnt be surprised if they have the III.

Flypaper
Old 8 December 2008, 04:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Ace of Aces

Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper View Post
From what I remeber, Encore picks up the molds of companies that have gone bust, most from East Europe. Dont make me swear on my mothers eyes but didnt ToKo make a III? I still have one of the Toko N.XI in my stash and its a nice kit. So I wouldnt be surprised if they have the III.

Flypaper
Hello Flypaper,

I would have to check an older catalog, but I have never seen and don't remember TOKO offering any Pfalz other than the D.XII.

SEE: Encore Models Pfalz D.IIIa, anybody heard of it?

HAPPY TRAILS, FOKKERJ