Medals and Decorations
The Aerodrome News
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

Learn how to remove ads

The Aerodrome Forum

Learn how to remove ads

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > Archives > Models

Models Topics related to WWI aircraft models. Forum is closed for posting.

Old 8 December 2009, 11:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
Two-seater Pilot

Newbie build: 1:48 Revell Sopwith Camel

Just starting to build planes. Decided to build a number of 1:32 Roden, WNW models. But to start, I have the Camel to build as a warmup - it was the only WWI plane in the hobbyshop bigger than 1:72!
Used this forum to get a ton of pictures for detail work and color schemes.
Plan is to add scratch exterior details, but no interior detail except pilot and inst panel.
Focus will be experimeting with model details, painting, on learning about the prototype construction, and on the history of WWI air warfare and planes.
More as I start work. Critique and advice welcome...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg box.jpg (27.7 KB, 32 views)
Sponsored Links
Old 8 December 2009, 04:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Shot Down

Dan,
Looking forward to watching your thread has you progress.The Camel isn't an Eduard's kit ,but it's not bad one either.Good choice for an first WW I build.
Regards,
Gregory Jouette
Old 8 December 2009, 08:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Observer

Hi Dan!

It sounds like we're in similar situations. I'm returning to modeling after a long time away and am trying to gain practice before tackling the WNW F.2b I have squirreled away. In fact, the first kit I did (about a year ago) was the Revelle Camel. I didn't even paint it or rig it--I just wanted to see if I could get the thing together without accidentally gluing a wing to my elbow.

I'd love to see reports and pictures of your progress on this!

Stuart
Old 9 December 2009, 03:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
Scout Pilot

Stuart, Please do tell, did you manage to get the wing unstuck from your elbow? If so, how did you get it unstuck? Is the wing still stuck there? What kind of glue were you using. Did you paint your elbow with a hand brush or an airbrush? Did you shave your elbow before attempting to glue the wing there? Did you correct all the shape problems with the wing, and reposition the ribs to the correct spacing? What markings did you use? Curious minds want to know these things, eh?

mIKE
Old 9 December 2009, 04:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Ace

Hi Dan !

Looking forward to your build and progress on this kit and judging from your ship , this will be a piece of cake . if you need any help with info just ask !

Oh yeah almost forgot ! Welcome to the site
Old 9 December 2009, 06:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Ace

DanL,

As a newbie to modelling WW1 aircraft myself, I did my homework thoroughly and researched and asked many questions here myself, and I'm pleased to see an experienced modeller (of ships) such as yourself doing the same. These threads helped me a great deal and I'm certain you'll get a few great ideas from them as well.

Hints and Tips...
1/32 Rigging Question
another newbie rigging question
Cutting masking tape for ribs
Decal "fixing"
Flat finish for models
Reaching a cusp on my first biplane

Good luck. Looking forward to seeing any progress/results.
Old 9 December 2009, 09:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Ace

A little history on the 1/48 Revell Sopwith Camel kit, I built one of these in the early 1980's in the Monogram box - Monogram in the late 1970's bought a bunch of the molds from the Aurora company and did some improvements on the Camel, SE5a and Fokker D.VII. those were the only ones issued by Monogram in the WW1 series but they also did the Aurora Monsters of the movies and several others over the years. The Aurora Camel dated back to the late 1950's and I remember building it as a kid in the early 1970's and it was a fun and easy build until my Red Baron triplane broke the wing off in a dogfight!
Well have fun with it, the struts are really overscale but make it easy to assembel for a beginner and it should give you good practice in painting and rigging it.
Dave
Old 9 December 2009, 11:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
Two-seater Pilot

Steve drew - thanks for the excellent thread references. Really like the stretched Qtip tube swage method, but can only find paper shaft Qtips here. Going to try plastic stir stix - maybe even the double ones for a double swage.

davecww - I'm already at the point of possibly throwing the kit struts and just filling the wing slots. I am using prototype photos to get relative dimensions, but prototype strut dimensions would be helpful. Anybody have a ref drawing, dimensions or a reference/link?

Thank you.
Old 9 December 2009, 02:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Two-seater Pilot

First Camel build pics

Started work on the tail section. Fashioned some control arms (correct term?) Rudder arms have double head for the double control cable I see in prototype pics. Why is it double?
Do the arms look about the right size?
Plan to paint, decal and apply cable to this subassembly before attaching to the finished fuselage. OK approach?
I know its not much, but let me know if something looks wrong - I can correct at this point - tail and elevator not glued together.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2headcontrolarm.jpg (13.1 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg armsok.jpg (11.6 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg tail-assembly-bottom.jpg (8.9 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg Tail-bottom.jpg (18.0 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Tail-components.jpg (16.6 KB, 35 views)
Old 9 December 2009, 10:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelhound View Post
Stuart, Please do tell, did you manage to get the wing unstuck from your elbow? If so, how did you get it unstuck? Is the wing still stuck there? What kind of glue were you using. Did you paint your elbow with a hand brush or an airbrush? Did you shave your elbow before attempting to glue the wing there? Did you correct all the shape problems with the wing, and reposition the ribs to the correct spacing? What markings did you use? Curious minds want to know these things, eh?

mIKE
Hi Mike!

I got the thing off with a special grease made specifically for elbows. And the only rib spacings needing correction are my own--they're getting too far apart.

HTH

Stuart