Medals and Decorations
The Aerodrome News
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

Learn how to remove ads

The Aerodrome Forum

Learn how to remove ads

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > Movies and Television

Movies and Television Topics related to WWI aviation movies, documentaries, television, etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13 April 2008, 07:59 PM   #31 (permalink)
Shot Down

An interesting venture. Noteably these could eventually be used in class rooms. Teaching and enticing neophytes to become involved in this kind of history. I am sure GregVan sees the potential. We could use a visual aid like this at the Lafayette Foundation for Fly-ins, cub scout and boy scout visits. It may be a future tool to use rather than just a hobby venture.
Old 13 April 2008, 10:41 PM   #32 (permalink)
Scout Pilot

My Gallery
Well you guys are doing a great job of cheerleading on this project. I'm really pleased to hear this much enthusiasm at just the proposal level. Hopefully when the Forum starts seeing clips of MvR and Hawker beginning to circle each other it will really become fun. The work is somewhat tedious and detail oriented so the reactions of the audience keep the animator going. Nick Parks (animator of Wallace and Gromet, Chicken Run) once said, "Six seconds is a really good day."

I would love for my work to be used as an educational tool for schools and WW1 organizations. If this first animation turns out well I'll be happy to make it available to individuals or organizations wanting to promote the study of the Great Air War.

Eight literal minutes might very well get tedious as rainbase suggests. I plan to mix up the p.o.v., jumping back and forth from one pilot to the other as well as being in an invisible 'wing man' plane. I'll try to make the transitions natural, like regular movies do with scenes of conversation. If eight minutes seems draggy I'll edit down before animating. Once I animate something, it's going in!

I'll post flat 3 views of both planes first. Once those are refined by our staff of color experts I'll build the 3D models. Then we can begin scripting the shots for the animation. I hope you folks are patient. I'll do my best to keep it moving forward.

Thanks again for your support.

WW1 AVIATION ART PRINTS
Old 14 April 2008, 12:48 AM   #33 (permalink)
Forum Ace

Hello backusstudio,
it also nice to read all those posts from all over the world. I am not a complete newbie in terms of WW1 aviation, however when i read what people around here know and research, the term "neophyte" would be an honour for me ...
I envy you for your Mac (if it is one), i had the possibility to work with a fast iMac built-into its 24" screen, what an unbelievable machine ! And you can run Windows stuff on it using the "bootcamp" feature, there are already one or two who use their iMac for playing "OFF".
As well the Mac with the software is a perfect basis for making films, as the programs are usually a lot better than the PC ones

So good luck with this project,
Thanks and greetings,
Catfish

P.S. if the stuff becomes too hard you can anytime lean back and watch those OFF-clips:
OVER FLANDERS FIELDS
This is only for entertaining, and to shamelessly advertise OFF .
The movies are big, but they are worth watching.
Old 14 April 2008, 09:43 AM   #34 (permalink)
Forum Ace

Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbase View Post
If I may offer my opinion, eight minutes would be awfully long for a proposed film like this. The bulk of the time it's mostly the two planes locked in a circle and losing altitude, right? ...
Hi....
If you accept the OTF analysis as a reasonable starting point, the engagement has two distinct phases. About 5 minutes are devoted to entering the circle fight, and spiraling down, trying to gain an advantage. The second phase consists of hedge-hopping with extensive evasive maneuvering, trying to reach the front lines and disengage. Your suggestion of visual time lapse techniques is a good one that could be used to crop a couple of minutes out of the first phase.
"A surprise attack is much more demoralising than any other form, and generally results in the person attacked diving or pulling the machine into such a position that it forms a most satisfactory target for the few seconds necessary to deliver a decisive blow. " - R. S. Dallas
Old 16 April 2008, 09:48 AM   #35 (permalink)
Scout Pilot

My Gallery
Hello Everyone-

I've completed the 3 views for Hawker's DH.2. They are posted on my web site due to the file size.

http://www.backusstudio.com/aerodrome/Hawker_DH2.jpg

I was surprised at how much variation I found from one reference source to another. In addition to anything that catches your eye, I found discrepancies on the following:

Spare Lewis gun drum holders. Are there none, one on left, one on right, or two, one on each side as shown? Also are the holders painted to fuselage color or bare metal?

Are the spars and struts wood finish, fuselage paint color or grey (metal?)?

Is canvas lower side panel of fuselage (behind roundel) painted same as rest of fuselage or is it tan?

Should the number "5964" show on rudder? Also are the letters "DH" on rudder above elevator level?

Did Hawker's aircraft have a two blade or four blade prop?

Your expertise is much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your input.

WW1 AVIATION ART PRINTS
Old 16 April 2008, 12:56 PM   #36 (permalink)
Two-seater Pilot

Opinion

Can't answer your questions but it looks good to me.

Lou
Old 16 April 2008, 01:14 PM   #37 (permalink)
Scout Pilot

My Gallery
Thanks, Lou. I'm close to done on the 3 view of MvR's D II. I'm excited to get on to the modeling phase. That's where things start looking real.

WW1 AVIATION ART PRINTS
Old 16 April 2008, 04:12 PM   #38 (permalink)
Scout Pilot

My Gallery
The 3 view of MvR's D II is completed and posted on my web site:

http://www.backusstudio.com/aerodrom...batros_DII.jpg

The Lanoe Hawker DH.2 3 view is posted here:

http://www.backusstudio.com/aerodrome/Hawker_DH2.jpg

Any feedback that will help me make these models more accurate will be appreciated.

Thanks-

WW1 AVIATION ART PRINTS
Old 17 April 2008, 10:48 AM   #39 (permalink)
Rest in Peace

My Gallery
MvR's Alb.D.II camouflage.

Backusstudio;
The camouflage is incorrect, and the colors are wrong. E-mail me your home or studio address and i'll mail you the correct camouflage scheme for MvR's Alb.D.II491/16.
Blue skies,
Dan-San
Old 17 April 2008, 10:01 PM   #40 (permalink)
Two-seater Pilot

You can't go wrong with Dan-San. When it comes to this kind of knowledge he's the best source available and I'm glad we have his help. This may be the best WWI film from a historical point of view. About the lenght of the film, my point of view is that at least the first part of the combat should be edited to make it shorter and keep the interest of the audience.

Just thinking... it would be better for rendering to make two versions of the planes, a low res one for distant scenes and another very high res model complete with interior, etc, to be used when the virtual camera is on that aircraft. You don't need to model turnbuckles for the rigging if the plane is going to be rendered from a mile away. If you need something please contact me. I can send you right now a very good spandau from my 3D Albatros CIII and a few other bits for your planes. And I'm good with texture maps.
Closed Thread