Medals and Decorations
The Aerodrome News
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

Learn how to remove ads

The Aerodrome Forum

Learn how to remove ads

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > Movies and Television

Movies and Television Topics related to WWI aviation movies, documentaries, television, etc.

Like Tree25Likes

Old 16 July 2011, 09:10 AM   #51 (permalink)
Forum Ace of Aces

Boom, the instigator of this intriguing thread, knows about movie trivia as he writes on the subject. Reminds me that the EGREGIOUS (you can look it up) 1976 Midway film had 70 errors up to the point that I quit counting. Contrast that with the Dam Busters flick that actually had correct Lanc serial numbers!

Plain fact is that the huge-huge majority of movie people are only peripherally/accidentally concerned with Historical/Technical Accuracy. "Almost nobody will know the difference" is a common attitude. (If that's so, then why not do it right, hmmmm?) Additionally, many authors who sell film rights know their work will be mutilated so they stay away. The exception I know of was tom Clancy who got exercized about that coral reef in Chesapeake Bay during Patriot Games. Sometimes even the story line goes away. The director of Starship Troopers--which thousands of Heinlein fans eagerly anticipated for decades--is a classic case. He read 40 pages of the book and declared "This is not the movie I want to make." Unfortunately, the heirs had already signed on the line.
RAF56_Ball and Douglas7 like this.
Old 5 September 2011, 09:46 AM   #52 (permalink)
Observer

It is good to be back on the forum after a long time away. Having finally seen this movie, I can't help but express disappointment at what could have been. They had the money, actors, technology, and historical material to make a great, accurate movie. All that was missing was the most important aspect: a committment to history. The filmaker stated in an interview that he decided that Richthofen would tell the filmaker's anti-war message. This is an amazing quote, but apparently the film industry still believes that an accurate, historical movie would not be interesting to the public.

The biggest problem with this movie isn't that it shows incorrect paint jobs or that some characters are flying in the wrong planes. Those are the details that we love and that wouldn't be hard to get right. It's the distortion of Richthofen into a modern, very emo, disrespectful protestor. Apparently this is the only kind of soldier this society can understand or accept. I agree with others who stated Richthofen was a product of his time; proud, disciplined, reserved, absolutely committed to his duties. Yes, there are aspects of his character that were violent and unforgiving: he told his pilots to aim for the man, not the plane as the movie says. This is war.

Romanticizing war is often what leads to the cavalier attitude about it that was present before WW1. it doesn't stop it, it just makes things worse. It's a horrible thing that needs to be taken care of quickly. Richthofen was one of millions of soldiers on all sides who simply tried to survive and do their duty during one of history's terrible conflicts. He was not a criminal for this, and the attempt to portray him as a protestor is a typical liberal idea that holds military personnel as incapable of being honorable and soldiers at the same time.

Just because Germany might not be ready to accept her martial sons as men of loyalty and honor does not give filmakers license to change history. There is room for an objective and accurate movie about this individual. History is always more interesting than fiction.
redintheskies likes this.
Kladno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2011, 01:54 PM   #53 (permalink)
Forum Ace of Aces

Contributor

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kladno View Post
It is good to be back on the forum after a long time away. Having finally seen this movie, I can't help but express disappointment at what could have been. They had the money, actors, technology, and historical material to make a great, accurate movie. All that was missing was the most important aspect: a committment to history. The filmaker stated in an interview that he decided that Richthofen would tell the filmaker's anti-war message. This is an amazing quote, but apparently the film industry still believes that an accurate, historical movie would not be interesting to the public.

The biggest problem with this movie isn't that it shows incorrect paint jobs or that some characters are flying in the wrong planes. Those are the details that we love and that wouldn't be hard to get right. It's the distortion of Richthofen into a modern, very emo, disrespectful protestor. Apparently this is the only kind of soldier this society can understand or accept. I agree with others who stated Richthofen was a product of his time; proud, disciplined, reserved, absolutely committed to his duties. Yes, there are aspects of his character that were violent and unforgiving: he told his pilots to aim for the man, not the plane as the movie says. This is war.

Romanticizing war is often what leads to the cavalier attitude about it that was present before WW1. it doesn't stop it, it just makes things worse. It's a horrible thing that needs to be taken care of quickly. Richthofen was one of millions of soldiers on all sides who simply tried to survive and do their duty during one of history's terrible conflicts. He was not a criminal for this, and the attempt to portray him as a protestor is a typical liberal idea that holds military personnel as incapable of being honorable and soldiers at the same time.

Just because Germany might not be ready to accept her martial sons as men of loyalty and honor does not give filmakers license to change history. There is room for an objective and accurate movie about this individual. History is always more interesting than fiction.
Mate,
Welcome to the flagship of the Aerodrome - where the greatest minds on the planet get together and talk about their favorite subject - WW1.

ttfn

tcrean7828

tom

P.S. Werner Voss fan here.
tcrean7828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2011, 04:25 PM   #54 (permalink)
Forum Ace

Wasn't there an Albatros with an allied two-seater insignia on its rudder.I forgot what squadron,its the one with a figure of a man (wearing a hood I think) with his arms extended out in front of him.Thats my part to add to the mistakes list.
"Here above us,there is a man twenty meters above the earth,imprisoned in a wooden frame,and defending himself against an invisible danger which he has taken on his own free will.But we are standing below,pushed away,without existence,and looking at this man."

Franz Kafka
Willi Von Klugerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2012, 01:33 PM   #55 (permalink)
Observer

It's like Star Wars: far from real, but i love it.
RAF56_Ball likes this.
Old 9 May 2012, 05:11 PM   #56 (permalink)
Forum Ace

I have the film on DVD but when I was at study hall today on the PC and I watched the full film on Youtube.I was shocked that there were bits from the video that were not on my DVD.Like the bit where the officer (didn't catch his name) with the white piped Uhlan tunic walked by Kirmaier's fallen Albatros D.III before he informed the Jasta 11 personel at breakfast of his funeral service.I thought that scene was was a beautifuly shot but it isn't in my DVD.Neither is the Jewish pilot giving a dead British observer a blessing,where the men at the brothel look on MVR after his conversation with the nurse,Lothar getting an oil leak after getting shot at by an R.E.8 observer,ect.

In my DVD scenes were "extended" by taking bits from other dogfight scenes to add more flying scenes.I want to know why they didn't add those bits to the DVD.They took the time and effort in altering it from the original release there is no reason to take those scenes out.
"Here above us,there is a man twenty meters above the earth,imprisoned in a wooden frame,and defending himself against an invisible danger which he has taken on his own free will.But we are standing below,pushed away,without existence,and looking at this man."

Franz Kafka
Willi Von Klugerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2012, 05:34 PM   #57 (permalink)
Forum Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrsusVonForsteck View Post
It's like Star Wars: far from real, but i love it.
but sometimes, the farther away it is from reality, the more it irritates historians and people who love ww1 aviation. although, i do hope that they do justice to these aces someday. no drama, fiction or anything. everything historically correct and everybody in character. THAT'S what makes it interesting.

besides which...what happened to the baroness' idea for a movie based on her sons?
Old 10 May 2012, 02:39 AM   #58 (permalink)
Scout Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
Is there some way to compile a list of all the mistakes in the new Red Baron movie? Bet by the time forumites are done, we could break 100.

cheers, Boom
Sorry to be totally negative but I think making it was the biggest mistake. I have tried to watch it more than a couple of times trying to just enjoy the airplanes and the flying but then someone starts talking and eventually I have to turn it off. Maybe Iíll try Mute next time.
Bob_D and redintheskies like this.
Fritz Kempf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2012, 08:19 AM   #59 (permalink)
Forum Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz Kempf View Post
Sorry to be totally negative but I think making it was the biggest mistake. I have tried to watch it more than a couple of times trying to just enjoy the airplanes and the flying but then someone starts talking and eventually I have to turn it off. Maybe Iíll try Mute next time.
and a fast forward button.
Fritz Kempf likes this.
Old 11 May 2012, 03:00 PM   #60 (permalink)
Scout Pilot

Movies can be done

When I am at the VB Military Aviation museum find myself explaining one of our "movie Stars", the Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter (a Tora3 Val is the other) to visitors. Unfortunately, the movie was the travesty of history called "Flyboys".

For authentic WW1 flying, albeit fictional, there's BT, YP and my Duel Over Douai. The three of us hope some movie company will produce it, but then have nightmares what Ho-ho-hollywood will do with it.

yours aye, Boom