The Aerodrome News
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

Learn how to remove ads

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > Museums and Collections

Museums and Collections Topics related to WWI aviation museums and collections

Closed Thread

Old 30 March 2011, 06:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
Forum Ace

I was there in August. We went looking for Adolphe Pegoud's monoplane, but it had been moved and wasn't available for view, but the aircraft they did have were teriffic. Guynemers Spad is at ground level, and there is a Nieuport Bebe and a Fokker D VII hanging from the ceiling. Their recreations of a French mess were well done.

The early aviation section is free. Its just a 45 minute train ride from Paris.
Go during the week and you will likely have the whole place to yourself. They have a nice book/gift shop, though there is not much else around Bourget worth seeing.

Bulldog90
Old 30 March 2011, 08:45 PM   #12 (permalink)
Two-seater Pilot

Hi Romani

I was there last year. Le Bourget rocks!

I posted photos in the following threads:

Early Aviation at Le Bourget

French WW1 Aircraft at Le Bourget

Spad VII Vieux Charles at Le Bourget

British WW1 Aircraft at Le Bourget

German WW1 Aircraft at Le Bourget

The Polikarpov is being restored by the Memorial Flight, who are also located at Le Bourget, and have a number of WW1 aircraft in the collection, including the LVG.CVI restoration for the Museum.

Check their web site at:

Mmorial Flight Association

Click on the news page for details of the Polikarpov restoration.

Unfortunately I got their late on a Friday, and only had about 40 or 50 minutes, shooting photos frantically. Hope to get their again later this year for a decent visit.

Surely the presence of Spad VII Vieux Charles alone would be worth the pilgrimage?

Cheers

Damian
Old 31 March 2011, 10:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
Forum Ace

The Musee de L'Air et de L'Espace at Le Bourget is one of the finest aviation museums I have seen. Please, if you have a chance, don't miss it.

Their early "pioneer" aviation and WW1 aviation sections are very good. Whilst WW2 and Space portions may not be quite what you are interested in, they are great to see.

As Bulldog90 said, their gift/book shop is very good too.

Steve
Old 1 April 2011, 12:49 AM   #14 (permalink)
Forum Ace

Query: Can you visit the Memorial Flight association? It's at La Ferté Alais. I ask because when I was at Duxford, there wasn't an air show, but I could get inside the hangar and take a look at the airplanes stored inside.

Can you do the same? Or they are only open when they have an airshow?

If it can be visited, how do you get there?

EDIT: Ok, I have been thinking. There's plenty to see in Paris and I might not be able to go to Le Bourget. I had decided for it since it is a once in a lifetime chance, because I am not going to return there just for seeing the museum.

But thinking it over, it would be better to go back there one summer in the future for the La Ferté Alais airshow, and when they have restored the Russian planes in Le Bourget. Plus, I can combine that with a bus trip to Brussels to see the air museum there, that way I would maximize the profits from my investment, and maybe even take the wife along for a Low Countries tour.

If I can, I will see it, better than nothing.

http://vb3img.theaerodrome.netdna-cdn.com/signaturepics/sigpic158_1.gif

Last edited by Romani; 1 April 2011 at 03:54 AM.
Old 1 April 2011, 08:03 AM   #15 (permalink)
Two-seater Pilot

Lunch at Museum

It is a great musuem. Lots to see inside and outside.

Also, the best lunch you will ever have at a museum. Be sure you make time to eat there.
Old 2 April 2011, 07:33 AM   #16 (permalink)
Observer

Hi,

If you have some times, don't miss the Arts & Métiers museum ( Musée des arts et métiers ). They have few aircrafts but very interesting ones, as the museum restoration politics have ever been very conservative (all aircrafts are in their original state, restored parts clearly indicated). Perhaps, you need binocilars to have a clear look at aircrafts hanging from the Chapelle ceiling.
They have a Clément Ader aircraft in original state except for wings fabric.
And they have many engines of old times for those interested in mechanics.

Regards,
PM
Old 3 April 2011, 07:37 AM   #17 (permalink)
Scout Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadoko View Post
If you have some times, don't miss the Arts & Métiers museum ( Musée des arts et métiers ). They have few aircrafts but very interesting ones, as the museum restoration politics have ever been very conservative (all aircrafts are in their original state, restored parts clearly indicated). Perhaps, you need binocilars to have a clear look at aircrafts hanging from the Chapelle ceiling.
They have a Clément Ader aircraft in original state except for wings fabric.
And they have many engines of old times for those interested in mechanics.
Greetings,
Shadoko thank you for this information and link. Maybe, I will go for a visit in summer of the collection (unknown for me).

For "Le Bourget" museum, I search the movie's title (WWI Aviation documentary) on the big screen or some screens in the museum. I had most the time (December 2009) for look the collections than wait the movie's end for write it (title) .

Do you know the title? I want to buy this movie.
I have some sequences, if they help you for an identification.

Thanks.
Regards.

Last edited by Bobrah; 3 April 2011 at 09:40 AM.
Old 5 April 2011, 02:26 AM   #18 (permalink)
Observer

Hi Bobrah,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobrah View Post
For "Le Bourget" museum, I search the movie's title (WWI Aviation documentary) on the big screen or some screens in the museum. I had most the time (December 2009) for look the collections than wait the movie's end for write it (title) .

Do you know the title? I want to buy this movie.
I have some sequences, if they help you for an identification.

Thanks.
Regards.
It seems this movie was specially made for the museum and it is not for sell

For any question about this movie, I think you may contact the curator office there.

Regards,
PM
Old 5 April 2011, 07:19 AM   #19 (permalink)
Scout Pilot

Seriously need to visit this place - looks stunning, the two Voisins (the Voisin 10 with the 37mm canon fuselage, what a fantastic exhibit!), Deperdussin Monocoque, Antoinette, think they also have a Delahaye balloon winch lorry too? And in an art deco airport terminal too, even better
Old 5 April 2011, 08:27 AM   #20 (permalink)
Scout Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadoko View Post
Hi Bobrah,It seems this movie was specially made for the museum and it is not for sell

For any question about this movie, I think you may contact the curator office there.

Regards,
PM
Hi Shadoko,
Thank you for the link and your answer.

Sh..! (sorry for my vulgarity all) It’s an interesting movie, I think by archives and commentaries. I remember of one sequence with "Rockets Le Prieur" installed on a Nieuport (Farman?) by mechanicians(?). I had not the time for to use my camera (too much at see in the museum) or search after a DVD in the museum's shop.

There were also in the movie, Nungesser wounded after a crash, and much documents about WWI's aviation, La Fayette Squadron (I think? If I remember well),...

I will go for send a mail for more informations about this movie.
Regards.

Last edited by Bobrah; 5 April 2011 at 11:59 AM.
Closed Thread