Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

Learn how to remove ads

The Aerodrome Forum

Learn how to remove ads

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > No Man's Land > Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome

Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome Threads related to the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome

Like Tree132Likes

Old 11 April 2011, 09:05 AM   #1091 (permalink)
Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAC Cadet Leader View Post
jeff,
yep.

here's a nice bio of cole palen that's linked on the ORA webpage and credited to volunteer, robert g. waldvogel:

http://www.oldrhinebeck.org/images/s..._aerodrome.pdf
Yes, an excellent article.

Did you see this change in the sign at the entrance of Old Rhinebeck?

Maybe someday it'll be done for real!!

Have a good day to all!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3708879650_549a3429ea_b.jpg (52.6 KB, 126 views)
Javro504k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2011, 07:14 PM   #1092 (permalink)
Observer

Neill and I actually talked about Cole and Rita for a while as part of the interview. The newspaper chose not to use that portion of the interview which was unfortunate. I often talk of Cole when giving tours and I met him a few times when I was younger. Many people are working hard to make this season a big success. In fact my wife JoAnn and I spent 2 hours tonight folding, stapling, stamping and labeling the latest isssue of rotary ramblings which will go out tomorrow so look for it in your mailboxes. Our membership is getting larger by leaps and bounds this year. Our goal is 1000 new members and we are working hard towards that goal. Hope that many of you can make it to Cole Palen's Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome this year for a show!

Michael DiGiacomio
SAB RaiderOne likes this.
Wingrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2011, 10:18 AM   #1093 (permalink)

Contributor

My Gallery
Thank you for your reply, Michael. My apologies for being hard on you, if the newspaper edited out your discussion of Cole and Rita...shameful of them to do so. In the video clip there was no mention made, either...

As I said above, I think it should be policy of the staff and volunteers at ORA for "Cole Palen's" to preceed "Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome" every time it is painted on a sign, printed on a ticket, a T-shirt, a postcard, in any advertising or spoken by an ORA volunteer, staff member or other representative. Please don't leave that most important fact and credit out of the equation. Cole Palen, his ideas, talents, skills, stories and the community of volunteers he brought together and managed to help create his living museum of early flight, made it all possible - those facts need to be repeated often by all the people who represent today's ORA.

Thank you and your wife for your good service toward helping improve Cole Palen's Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome. I look forward to receiving my Rotary Ramblings again. I believe I'm due two years-worth of newsletters that never were sent to me in 2006 - 2008. Please inform your subscription leader that my address has not changed.
~Martha Esch, AAC Cadet Leader
SAB RaiderOne likes this.
AAC Cadet Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2011, 10:28 AM   #1094 (permalink)

Contributor

My Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javro504k View Post
Yes, an excellent article.

Did you see this change in the sign at the entrance of Old Rhinebeck?

Maybe someday it'll be done for real!!

Have a good day to all!
i'm confused, jeff. do you mean that you doctored your attached photo above to add "Cole Palen" back onto the sign? if so, i agree it should be on there. did they Cole's name off the entrance sign?
Old 25 April 2011, 11:35 AM   #1095 (permalink)
Observer

Quote:
i'm confused, jeff. do you mean that you doctored your attached photo above to add "Cole Palen" back onto the sign? if so, i agree it should be on there. did they Cole's name off the entrance sign?
Yes AAC, I edited the photo by adding " Cole Palen"
Javro504k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2011, 10:50 AM   #1096 (permalink)

Contributor

My Gallery
Would someone who has attended ORA this summer please report if Cole Palen's name has been put back onto the signage, the printed materials, advertising and into the verbal announcements? Are newcomers being told by staff and volunteers the story of ORA's history, its founder and curator?
Old 6 November 2011, 06:29 PM   #1097 (permalink)

Contributor

My Gallery
Welcome Dave Balint, new member to theaerodrome forum and long-ago mechanic and volunteer for Cole Palen!
Old 25 November 2011, 07:44 AM   #1098 (permalink)
Forum Ace

Thumbs up

So ORA must be doing pretty good. No complains being posted, great news.
Old 29 December 2011, 04:34 PM   #1099 (permalink)
Observer

Quote:
Would someone who has attended ORA this summer please report if Cole Palen's name has been put back onto the signage, the printed materials, advertising and into the verbal announcements? Are newcomers being told by staff and volunteers the story of ORA's history, its founder and curator?

When I started volunteering for ORA, I already knew much about Cole Palen so I didn't need to be informed. I can't really speak for other people though. Cole Palen's name was put in the new booklet that has all of the collection in it, and at every show just before we run the Liberty V-12, Jim Hare tells the story of how it all got started. Hope this answers your question. Also, I have recently obtained a copy of Gordon Bainbridge's book [I]The Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome. It is out of print and some of the information and pictures in it are priceless.
crosswinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2012, 02:39 AM   #1100 (permalink)

Contributor

My Gallery
Hurricane Sandy at Old Rhinebeck

Can we get an update on how ORA has weathered the big storm? Sure hope the collection didn't suffer any or much damage.