Medals and Decorations
The Aerodrome News
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

Learn how to remove ads

The Aerodrome Forum

Learn how to remove ads

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > Other WWI Aviation

Other WWI Aviation Airfields, equipment, tactics, training, uniforms and all other WWI aviation topics

Closed Thread

Old 1 April 2004, 12:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Ace

On the morning of 26th August 1917 No.6 Squadron RNAS carried out an outer line patrol at 06.25.

They were jumped by a formation of 6 enemy aircraft at 07.35 in the vicinity of Middlekerke (possibly MFJ1?) A general engagement took place which inevitably drew in other aircraft. Flt. Bruno de Roeper (a very experienced Naval pilot) saw an enemy machine go down in flames to crash in a field by the side of the Bruges-Nieuport canal. The victor, a Belgian SPAD.

FSL Carroll also reported seeing the German machine go down in flames.

Pretty positive report by the Naval 6 pilots, and not claiming a victory for themselves either.

Strangely enough, there is no recorded German loss. Funny that

Mike
Sponsored Links
Old 1 April 2004, 02:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rest in Peace

Mike, it is remotely possible that the German loss may have been Uffz. Willy Thoerner, a pilot with Schusta 4. I only know that he was WIA that day while in air combat. Around this date Schusta 4 was in the process of relocating airfields from Bisseghem to Wynghene, both in the 4. Armee, so the location of Middlekerke is at least in the correct region. R.
Old 3 April 2004, 01:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Ace of Aces

Hi Mike

I think that this is a description of the death of Uffz Carl Conradt from Jasta 17, the location fits and IF we assume that the British report has mixed up the time from morning to evening it also fits regarding time...

According to my reports also the Belgian pilot Lt Edmond Thieffry of B 5 esc claimed this e/a in the evening....!

What is a different is that my German sources dont verify that their a/c went down in Flames...but it perhaps burned when hitting the ground...or it was smoking in some way..?

Part of the KTB(or similar) from Jasta 17 can be found the archive in Freiburg, but I dont have a copy of it....perhaps it contains some added information....?

It is however strange that the British did NOT claimed this e/a, as usually when the Germans had a real loss, every British aircraft in the nearby seems to have put in a claim...

B)
Gunnar
Old 3 April 2004, 02:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Ace

Gunnar,

Quote:
It is however strange that the British did NOT claimed this e/a, as usually when the Germans had a real loss, every British aircraft in the nearby seems to have put in a claim...

I would suggest you are confusing the Royal Naval Air Service with the Royal Flying Corps

There does not seem to be a combat report for this "event", just the Squadron Daily Ops book. I keep hoping to find a pilot's log book that covers the period - the only one I have, the pilot didn't fly on this mission

Mike
Old 3 April 2004, 06:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
Rest in Peace

Oops, I goofed (not the first time). I think Gunnar is on-the-nose, the loss of Conradt (Jasta 17) fits much better (with the exception of the 12 hour time difference). R.
Closed Thread