Links to Other Sites
Medals and Decorations
The Aerodrome News
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

Learn how to remove ads

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > Other WWI Aviation

Other WWI Aviation Airfields, equipment, tactics, uniforms and all other WWI aviation topics

Closed Thread

Old 21 July 2005, 06:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Ace

Question Kagohl --Definition of

Hello Forumites,

I am wondering whether someone could post a good technical definition of the German Kagohl and Kasta units. It seems as if they did both bombing and fighter work while the Jagdstaffeln were strictly fighter units. I'd appreciate whatever further informaton could be offered, particularly how the Kagohl and Kasta units were different from the Jastas and how their work was coordinated with that of a Jasta.

Thank you and Best Regards,

FliegerJG1
Old 21 July 2005, 09:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Ace of Aces

Location: Jabbeke-Flanders, Home of the Marine Jagdgeschwader

Hi Flieger,

I posted an article to Scott a few weeks ago for the articles topic which may give you an idea. However not published here yet, you can find it here :

http://www.voy.com/65298/697.html

In 3 parts.

As one of these units also co-invented the close air support together with Alfred Ritscher of the MFFA.

Kasta = Kampfstaffel (6 planes normally)
Kagohl = Kampfgeschwader of the Oberste Heeres Leiting
Normally 6 kasta's in a Kagohl.

Primarely bombing it was indeed, later also close air support. Every Kagohl had a number of Kampfstaffeln. Many of the Kasta's became later Schusta's and later these Kasta's were re established, the Kagohl's became later the Bogohl's and had now Bosta's (Bombenstaffel) instead of Kasta's.

They are most known for the big bombardments they did with the Gotha planes on England or Friedrichshafen planes on Paris, but they also flew C-types which were used for other forms of bombings, closer to the ground and even for recon.

Best from Johan
Old 29 July 2005, 07:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rest in Peace

My Gallery
Kagohl and Kasta units.

Regulus:
The Kampfgeschwader der Obersten Heersleitung, (Kagohl) were units that operated under the Commander of the German Armies. The organization consisted to a Headquarters Staff and six Kampfstaffeln, each of six C Class aircraft. They had their own ground transport and for mobility the German railway system. In the original concept, they were to be strategic bomber to bomb England. The C class aircraft lacked the operational range to bomb England. In actual practice they operated as tactical battle field bombers. worse during the battle of Verdun, They patrolled the front trying to prevent French bombers bombing the German front. The There were 7 Kagohls formed. Kagohl Nr.1 had Kampfstaffeln(Kasta) Nr.1 to 6. Kagohl Nr.2, Kasta Nr.7 to 12. Kagohl Nr.3, Kasta Nr.13 to 18. Kagohl Nr.4, Kasta Nr.19 to 24.
Kagohl Nr.5, Kasta Nr.25 to 30. Kagohl Nr.6Bay, Kasta Nr.31b to 36b. Kagohl Nr.7, Kasta Nr.37 to 42. In October 1916 the Luftstreitekräfte was formed from the Fliegertruppe under the command of Lt.Gen. Ernst Hoeppner. At this point in time the Kagohls had 288 C Class aircraft and 24 G Class twin engine bombers. In January 1917, four of the Kagohls were disbanded and refomed as 24 Schutzstaffeln with the C Class aircraft. In early 1917 the remining Kagohls were reorganized in the Bombengeschwader der Obersten Heersleitung
(Bogohl) of three Bombenstaffeln (Bosta), each with six G Class twin engine bombers and a number of C Class aircraft for tactical day bombing. Bogohl Nr.3 was rebuilt with 6 Bosta with the mission of bombing England using their G Class Gotha Bombers. By war's end, eight Bogohls were staffed and equipped. Each Bosta compliment of aircraft was increased to 8 G Class Bomber aicraft.
A nut shell description.
Blue skies,
Dan-San

Last edited by Dan_San_Abbott; 29 July 2005 at 07:41 PM.
Old 30 July 2005, 04:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Ace

Thank You

Many thanks, Regulus and Dan San Abbott for your replies to my inquiry. I had searched for information but did not find anything to explain these units as well as you have. Your comments were exactly what I was seeking.

VBR...FliegerJG1
Old 31 July 2005, 06:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Ace of Aces

Location: Jabbeke-Flanders, Home of the Marine Jagdgeschwader

Yes, the way Dan-San has decribed it is perfect indeed !

Thanks for that !

Best from Johan
Closed Thread