The Aerodrome Home Page
Aces of WWI
Aircraft of WWI
Books and Film
The Aerodrome Forum
Sign the Guestbook
Help
Links to Other Sites
Medals and Decorations
The Aerodrome News
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History


Learn how to remove ads

The Aerodrome Forum

Learn how to remove ads

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > People


People Topics related to WWI aviation personnel

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 January 2008, 09:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
Forum Ace
 
Kirk R. Lowry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 638
 
Bonjour flyguy

Etienne Tsu was a very interesting aviator.

Apparently born in Kiang-Sou, on December 24, 1885, but, living in France when the Great War began, Etienne Tsu voluntered to join the French Foreign Legion and served in the 1er Regiment. He transferred to the 1er Groupe d'Aviation and, after pilot training, was assigned to Escadrille N.37 and elevated to the rank of sergeant on April 29, 1916.

The unit was originally equipped with Morane Saulnier aircraft, but, Nieuport aircraft were delivered to N.37 in the Spring of 1916. N.37 was stationed in the VI Armee sector and attached to the Groupement de Chasse de Cachy

While serving with N.37 Tsu was given credit for the following
- July 10, 1916 - an enemy aircraft destroyed
- August 20, 1916 - an enemy aircraft damaged (perhaps an Albatros)
- August 24, 1916 - an enemy aircraft forced to land
- September 12, 1916 - an enemy aircraft destroyed (perhaps flown by Leutnant der Reserve Ewald von Mellenthin, Jagdstaffel 3)
- September 25, 1916 - an enemy aircraft forced to land (in the vicinity of Berthincourt at 1350)
- September 25, 1916 - an enemy balloon probably destroyed
- September 26, 1916 - an enemy balloon destroyed (north of Nurlu at 1540)
- November 3, 1916 - an enemy aircraft probably destroyed (in the vicinity of Bois de la Ville at 1550)
- January 7, 1917 - an enemy aircraft probably destroyed (in the vicinity of Croix Mouligneaux at 0905)

On March 30 Tsu was assigned to an aircraft repair unit located at Saint-Cyr and and there continued to serve until demobilization on February 20, 1919. In the mean time he had been made an officer, as of October 30, 1916, with the rank of sous-lieutenant having been cited in the orders of the VI Armee on September 5, 1916.

Tsu was remarkable in several ways: as an Asian who not only flew but served with success in an European air force and as a pursuit pilot who had been born in 1885 and was thus considerably older than comrades and opponents!

Please note that much of the information listed was to be found in an article written by Jon Guttman, France's Foreign Legion of the Air, Part 22 Etienne Tsu - N.37's Chinese Champion, which appeared in Windsock International, Volume 9, No. 5.

Several aspects to the life of Tsu are mysterious; why was he in France, why did he wish to serve in French forces in spite of obvious difficulties of race and age, what happened to so intrepid a fellow following the conclusion of hostilities? Was Etienne actually the given name of Tsu?

I am most interested in the pilots of Asia, from all periods of time, and would be grateful if you could share any information known about Tsu flyboy. ... by the way ... the English is not so bad ...

Salut!
Kirk
Kirk R. Lowry is offline  
Old 12 January 2008, 02:08 AM   #12 (permalink)
Forum Ace of Aces
 
Froggy's Avatar
Contributor
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: FRance
Posts: 3,061
 
Salut Kirk

I think you speak french as good as I
so go to this French site-
https://pastel.diplomatie.gouv.fr/ed...nghai/tsu.html

you will see that historical relation -ships between Shangai and France
was certainly the reason of his appartenance in French army


Bon WE
Cordialement
Bruno
Froggy is offline  
Old 12 January 2008, 06:16 AM   #13 (permalink)
Observer
 
flyguy72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: China
Posts: 9
 
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk R. Lowry View Post
Bonjour flyguy

Etienne Tsu was a very interesting aviator.

Apparently born in Kiang-Sou, on December 24, 1885, but, living in France when the Great War began, Etienne Tsu voluntered to join the French Foreign Legion and served in the 1er Regiment. He transferred to the 1er Groupe d'Aviation and, after pilot training, was assigned to Escadrille N.37 and elevated to the rank of sergeant on April 29, 1916.

The unit was originally equipped with Morane Saulnier aircraft, but, Nieuport aircraft were delivered to N.37 in the Spring of 1916. N.37 was stationed in the VI Armee sector and attached to the Groupement de Chasse de Cachy

While serving with N.37 Tsu was given credit for the following
- July 10, 1916 - an enemy aircraft destroyed
- August 20, 1916 - an enemy aircraft damaged (perhaps an Albatros)
- August 24, 1916 - an enemy aircraft forced to land
- September 12, 1916 - an enemy aircraft destroyed (perhaps flown by Leutnant der Reserve Ewald von Mellenthin, Jagdstaffel 3)
- September 25, 1916 - an enemy aircraft forced to land (in the vicinity of Berthincourt at 1350)
- September 25, 1916 - an enemy balloon probably destroyed
- September 26, 1916 - an enemy balloon destroyed (north of Nurlu at 1540)
- November 3, 1916 - an enemy aircraft probably destroyed (in the vicinity of Bois de la Ville at 1550)
- January 7, 1917 - an enemy aircraft probably destroyed (in the vicinity of Croix Mouligneaux at 0905)

On March 30 Tsu was assigned to an aircraft repair unit located at Saint-Cyr and and there continued to serve until demobilization on February 20, 1919. In the mean time he had been made an officer, as of October 30, 1916, with the rank of sous-lieutenant having been cited in the orders of the VI Armee on September 5, 1916.

Tsu was remarkable in several ways: as an Asian who not only flew but served with success in an European air force and as a pursuit pilot who had been born in 1885 and was thus considerably older than comrades and opponents!

Please note that much of the information listed was to be found in an article written by Jon Guttman, France's Foreign Legion of the Air, Part 22 Etienne Tsu - N.37's Chinese Champion, which appeared in Windsock International, Volume 9, No. 5.

Several aspects to the life of Tsu are mysterious; why was he in France, why did he wish to serve in French forces in spite of obvious difficulties of race and age, what happened to so intrepid a fellow following the conclusion of hostilities? Was Etienne actually the given name of Tsu?

I am most interested in the pilots of Asia, from all periods of time, and would be grateful if you could share any information known about Tsu flyboy. ... by the way ... the English is not so bad ...

Salut!
Kirk
Thanks for your reply!

Here are some info about Tsu but in Chinese instead of English or other languages.14航空隊中美空*x混合團CACW
Let me have a try to translate something about Tsu's life in China into English for you though writing in English looks more harder than reading for me!
In 1922,China was in war launched by a few warlords though nominally a central government existed,called Republic of China at that time.Tsu joined one side,Lu Yongxiang,a warlord held Zhejiang Province and helped him to set up a small air team,later with total six Breguet 14s and four Morance Saulniers in it and training pilots.On Feb 27th,1924 he was elevated to the rank of Captain and the Commander of this small air force.
Tsu was recorded into some books of Chinese aviation history because of the story above!Of course,his stories in WWI looks more interesting for us!
In May,1924,French pilot Georges Pelletier Doisy and his machinist Besin was in their travell from Paris to Tokyo to break the long distance record.When passing by China,their plane ,a Breguet 14 was forced to land in Shanghai because of some fault.A few days later,Georges Pelletier Doisy got in touch with his old teammate,Tsu and borrowed a Breguet from Tsu's air team to continued his long travell to Tokyo.
From Sep to Oct,the war broke out between Lu and other warlords and then Lu was defeated.People couldn't find any records proved that Tsu's air team has taken off into sky to joined the war but it was said that his team was seized by their enemy and Tsu had to escape to his home in Shanghai.From that time on,Tsu,the first well-known pilot of China faded out.
Some references mentioned Tsu was dead in 1940.It's difficult to find out more info about him most because of the wars occurs in later years .At least I think this is the main reason that so much datas lost.

Hope it's helpful for you,Kirk! Here is my email:[email protected] and hope to share more info each other in the future!

salut!

Fan
__________________
Great aviation art!
flyguy72 is offline  
Old 12 January 2008, 03:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
Scout Pilot
 
gilles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Bordeaux, France
Posts: 358
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy72 View Post
Thank you Gilles!
I have a picture of his Nieuport 17 with a "T" on it but the only pity is that there is no the serial number on the tail.
Attachment 9156
I am very interested on Tsu's 1st victory too!Thanks for your reply on this story.I will try to find out more info about Otto Parschau later with Google.Do you have any info of Otto's plane please?
OK I found the french magazine . It is not a translation of the Windsock but there is little more infos.
There is a picture of a Nieuport line-up with the "T" visible. Rudder is hidden. Unlike your profile, the plane (like all the N17 in this line) has a spinner.
The picture was taken in summer 1916 and at that time the N17s with synchronized Vickers were fairly new. The planes look similar to Guynemer #N1530.
An info on von Mellenthin : he would have flown an Halberstadt D.III .
I don't know Parschau's airplane, I am not even sure that he was shot down the 10th july. If someone has more informations ?

Gilles
gilles is offline  
Old 12 January 2008, 03:24 PM   #15 (permalink)
Forum Ace
 
Kirk R. Lowry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 638
 
C'est Wow!

flyguy!

Most interesting! I knew nothing of the additional information that you provided about Tsu. Certainly a remarkable aviator!

I understand that the KMT forces had acquired some 50 Breguet 14 aircraft and Davilla and Soltan, in French Aircraft of the First World War, make reference to 16 Breguet 14 which were owned by a Manchurian by the name of Chang Hsuch-liang. I wonder how purchases of the aircraft were made. A most fascinating subject!

Merci flyguy
Kirk
Kirk R. Lowry is offline  
Old 12 January 2008, 03:34 PM   #16 (permalink)
Scout Pilot
 
gilles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Bordeaux, France
Posts: 358
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
Bonsoir Gilles

The same day 10 july 1916 Lt Deullin from N3 was credited for a probable victory in german Line -It was ,with Etienne Tsu the 2 only claims of that day
Otto Parshau could have be the victim of Deullin too?

Cordialement
Bruno

Bonsoir Bruno

Yes you are right, Albert Deullin and Etienne Tsu wee the only french pilots to make a claim that day and their units , N3 and N37, were operating in the same area, both being based at Cachy, but I favor Tsu because :
-1 It's more interesting
-2 Tsu claim was confirmed, not Deullin's one : In magazine Avions #54 it is written that the fall, although behind German lines, was seen by observers on ground.
Anyway there is no precise location for Tsu claim (nor for Deullin...) and I don't even know the circumstances of Parschau last combat, only that he fell at Grevillers, in N37 (and N3) combat zone, so that's just a guess, no more.
Quote:
(ps:Gilles je vais reprendre ce WE ma s廨ie de scan sur le guerre a廨ienne illustr嶪)
Cool ! Merci

Gilles
gilles is offline  
Old 12 January 2008, 08:48 PM   #17 (permalink)
Forum Ace
 
Kirk R. Lowry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 638
 
... ne pas Parshau ...

Bonjour tout le monde!

Who it was that sent down Leutnant Otto Parshau may not have been determined, but, it was not Etienne Tsu. Parshau was wounded, having been struck in the head and abdomen on July 21, 1916, and died the same day at a hospital in the field. The aircraft flown and the time does not seem to have been determined so (at least) two claims may be regarded as having some merit; one by John Andrews of 24 Squadron (for a Fokker E at 0800 over Allanies), the other by Charles Nungesser (for an Aviatik over Seuzey). If it could be determined which aircraft Parshau was flying (a Fokker E type or an Halberstadt D type) perhaps it could be stated who it was that sent down the ace.

At least once source, The Imperial German Eagles in World War I by Bronnenkant, eliminates the possibility of Andrews downing Parshau as a statement quoted from records of the German press notes that Parshau was mortally wounded in a combat in the evening of July 21 and the claim made by Andrews was at 0800 ... so the claim by Nungesser may be more credible. Who ever it was, it was not Etienne Tsu that sent Parshau down.

I wonder ... Bruno or gilles ... with your knowledge of la g廩graphie fran蓷ise ... are Allanies and Seuzey in the vicinity of each other?

Salut mes amis!
Kirk
Kirk R. Lowry is offline  
Old 13 January 2008, 02:03 AM   #18 (permalink)
Forum Ace of Aces
 
Froggy's Avatar
Contributor
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: FRance
Posts: 3,061
 
Hello all

From the "French air service War chronology" in 21 july 1916, the death of otto parshau Flabt 32 ,Aviatik, is attribued as probable at Nungesser
Otto Parshau was KIA at Grevillers
http://www.frontflieger.de/fflgfoto/3parot0g.jpg (St Quentin)

and here a google view :




cordialement
Bruno
Froggy is offline  
Old 13 January 2008, 09:38 PM   #19 (permalink)
Observer
 
flyguy72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: China
Posts: 9
 
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk R. Lowry View Post
flyguy!

Most interesting! I knew nothing of the additional information that you provided about Tsu. Certainly a remarkable aviator!

I understand that the KMT forces had acquired some 50 Breguet 14 aircraft and Davilla and Soltan, in French Aircraft of the First World War, make reference to 16 Breguet 14 which were owned by a Manchurian by the name of Chang Hsuch-liang. I wonder how purchases of the aircraft were made. A most fascinating subject!

Merci flyguy
Kirk
Hi Kirk,

Frankly,I am very ignorant at stories of WWI.
I found out a articlecaf07 about Breguet in China just ago and translated something for you.I am sorry it's too long for me to turn the entire article into Chinese so I did a part of it looks more important i think.
It was said that Zhang Zuolin,the warlord of Chinese Dongbei someone called Manchuria,Chang Hsuch-liang's father,bought 12 Breguet 14s including 2 Tbis,2 A2,4 B2 and 4 Breguet 16BN2 in 1923 from a France Businessman called Boaisuo,a transliterated name and 18 Breguet 14 B2 in 1924 and 40 Breguet 400 from 1925 to 1926.
Chang Hsuch-liang inherited his father's position after Zhang Zuolin was assassinated by Japanese,turned to be the actual master of Chinese Dongbei.

Hope it's helpful,thanks!

Fan
__________________
Great aviation art!
flyguy72 is offline  
Old 13 January 2008, 09:42 PM   #20 (permalink)
Observer
 
flyguy72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: China
Posts: 9
 
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilles View Post
OK I found the french magazine . It is not a translation of the Windsock but there is little more infos.
There is a picture of a Nieuport line-up with the "T" visible. Rudder is hidden. Unlike your profile, the plane (like all the N17 in this line) has a spinner.
The picture was taken in summer 1916 and at that time the N17s with synchronized Vickers were fairly new. The planes look similar to Guynemer #N1530.
An info on von Mellenthin : he would have flown an Halberstadt D.III .
I don't know Parschau's airplane, I am not even sure that he was shot down the 10th july. If someone has more informations ?

Gilles
Hi Gilles!

Very very useful info for me!Thank you very very much!

Thanks!

Fan
__________________
Great aviation art!
flyguy72 is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
etienne tsu


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright 1997 - 2013 The Aerodrome