Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

Learn how to remove ads

The Aerodrome Forum

Learn how to remove ads

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > People

People Topics related to WWI aviation personnel

Closed Thread

Old 1 September 2002, 08:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
CaptainLewis

Dear Forumites,
Could anyone provide me with any details concerning Armand Pinsard's first victory in a SPAD? (It was probably a SPAD VII; BTW, it was also the first victory of Pinsard after having escaped successfully from a German POW lager).
Merci mille fois,
Capitaine Louis

Old 3 September 2002, 12:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Ace

I am not sure what victory you are talking about

I have its first victory on th 1st nov 16 at this date I am sure he was flying a Nieuport anyway this victory took place at Lechele at 15 25
Old 3 September 2002, 05:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
CaptainLewis

Mon cher Gregoire,
Ça me fait beaucoup de plaisir que vous m'avez respondu...
This is what "inspired" this thread (from Squadron/Signal #93, SPAD Fighters in Action, page 8):

"Officers of the Aviation Militaire were also anxious to see how the Spad 7 performed in combat against enemy aircraft [Assuming that it performed well in combat against friendly aircraft?-C.L.]. LT Armand Pinsard, who had recently been posted to Escadrille N 26 after escaping from a German prison, was asked by COL Joseph Bares to take one of the first production Spad 7s (possibly S.233) to the front and test it in combat. The exact date this aircraft arrived at the front is unknown, however, on 26 August 1916, Pinsard scored the first victory for the Spad 7."

If you consult Jean Renoir's Ma Vie et Mes Films (My Life and My Films), he gives an account of how he first met Pinsard, the latter having saved the former's life in an aerial combat. This incident was later instrumental in inspiring Renoir's classic film, La Grande Illusion.

I'm just trying to verify if the above related incident was also Pinsard's first victory in a SPAD.

Merci beaucoup encore mille fois.

Avec mes sentiments distingueés,
Capitaine Louis

Old 4 September 2002, 05:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Ace

Pinsard was given a spad to test the 23rd agust but do not get a comfirmed kill before the 1st november, before that he may have scored 3 time on the 28th (I have seen the date 26 on a lot of place but in the actual army document there is no claim for this date (no claim at all) on the 28th Pinsard got a non comfirmed kill against a LVG the plane was identified then he get two forced to land (one of them was destroyed by british artillery (source the french air service war chronology)
During this time it is likely he was flying a spad but i have no proof that he was not flying a Nieuport too
By mid november 16 pinsard was given teh command of the N78
By the way there is an error in the opsrey spad 7 book he was nevr the commending officer of the N26 it was Menard that held that position (the same menard that escaped with pinsard in march 16)
Old 4 September 2002, 06:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
wingedwarrior

I was wondering what part of September 1917 did Pinsard begin flying after recovering from his wounds suffered in June 1917? I understand that he took over command of N23 but did he fly actual combat missions early on?

Closed Thread