The Aerodrome News
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

Learn how to remove ads

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > No Man's Land > Pioneer Aviation

Pioneer Aviation Topics related to the aviators and aeroplanes prior to WWI

Closed Thread

Old 24 June 2007, 02:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Doc
Forum Ace

Early pilot license lists

Can anyone point me to full lists of pilot licenses earned before the outbreak of WWI from the various nations? I have France and Germany, but am looking for all other countries--- need number of license, date issued, and name of pilot. Thanks. Doc
Old 25 June 2007, 07:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Ace

Red face

Hallo Doc!

I have the licences list for balloon and aviators for Belgium.
Balloonlicences only by number in alfabetic order,dates not.
seen first balloon licences where only granted from 1909 on,the first part of it where granted into alfabetic order!Than the later licences where granted at the moment they obtained it and were registered by the acb.

For balloonlicences I can only aprox. giving up into what year they were obtained! The Belgian aviatorslist is to find on Ralfs Coopers website as you remember ?

The list for The Netherlands was once placed upon the Dutch Forum www.forumeerstewereldoorlog.nl but I failed due to PC troubles to ptint it out.
Must myself search where it is to find there.

Just got my Internet installed at my homeaddress!
New PC (Laptop),new programming, and new scanner, must figure out how to load the scanner on this one!

email adres has changed!

[email protected] !!!

greetings,

Jempie (jean-Pierre Lauwers)
Old 25 June 2007, 01:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Scout Pilot

British and Italian

Hi Doc,
British from 1910-1914 are in the book History of British Aviation 1908-1914 by R. Dallas-Brett.
Italian brevets are listed in the book Pionieri dell'Aviazione in Italia by Mario Cobianchi.

I do not have the latter.
Regards,
Matt.
Old 25 June 2007, 01:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Scout Pilot

Hi Jempie,
I have a question for you - do you have a list of Dutch aviators who died before the Great War?

I know it is a morbid question, but it interests me....
Matt.
Old 25 June 2007, 04:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Ace

Hi!

I don't have my documentation at home, is stoered into a garagebox since I forced to sell my hobbyhouse!

There was one Dutch pre-WWI aviator who crashed deathly 1911...I know!

But I think it was Marinus Van Meel ?

I had a contemporary article amongst my documentation with a commemorationstone and probably his tumbstone/grave too..

There is certainly on these a website , with for more somewhere a few photos on a few I provided at the time!

Total first aviators were Fokker, Frederik Koolhoven,Adriaan Mulder,Marinus Van Meel,Weynmalen (Wijnmalen),and the first Dutchman who made as first a flight into Netherlands, forgive me his name escapes me now, but I have him also on photos from old magazines!

Perhaps you find them on www.earlyaviators.com under the pictures I provided there too!

vbr

Jempie
Old 25 June 2007, 04:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Ace

hmm!

Just checked it!

Marinus Van Meel died 1958!

Than Jan Hilgers was the name who escaped me..!
Must check my documentation to find out who was the first killed Dutchman!
sems me not to be amongst those who are on above link mentioned!
He got his licence in France! Can't remember if he ever got a Dutch license seen he was killed 1911!
Tht's why!

vbr

Jempie
Old 26 June 2007, 12:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
Doc
Forum Ace

Jempie and Matt, thanks. I had forgotten the BAHA and Cooper's site as a source for the Belgian list. Jempie, the Dutch site reference is, I think, http://www.forumeerstewereldoorlog.n...ghlight=brevet

Matt, I will try to obtain those books-- would it be possible to obtain a scan of the British list from you?

Thanks again. Doc
Old 26 June 2007, 12:49 AM   #8 (permalink)
Doc
Forum Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyBoy View Post
Hi Jempie,
I have a question for you - do you have a list of Dutch aviators who died before the Great War?

I know it is a morbid question, but it interests me....
Matt.
Matt, good morning, As far as I know, there were only two Dutchmen who died before WWI in air crashes. The first was Clement Van Maasdyke ( French license # 130), who died on 27 Aug 1910 at Arnhem. The other was G.D. Spandau (Aeroclub of Belgium license #88), who died on 3 July 1914 at Soesterberg. If you are, like me, interested in the deaths in early aviation, I will refer you to my consolidated list at http://www.earlyaviators.com/edavelam.pdf It's an old version, but I hope to get an updated one to Ralph for posting within the next week or two. If you have any corrections or additions, please let me know. Thanks . Doc