The Aerodrome News
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

Learn how to remove ads

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > Aircraft > Replica Aircraft

Replica Aircraft Topics related to the construction of WWI replica aircraft

Like Tree247Likes

Old 29 August 2004, 01:48 PM   #101 (permalink)
Scout Pilot

Contributor

On the left hand side you can see the edge of the base I made for the planer to slide against. The ply is placed in from the right and secured, then the planer is pushed forward to take the first cut. As each pass is made, the left side drops the depth of the cut until the runner is resting on the work surface.

On the right hand side of the attachment, you can see the runners that ride on top of the ply and the shims to get the proper angle.

I had thought about some other methods but I already owned the correct model planer so this is the route I am taking for the ply.

Last edited by Fokker210; 28 March 2005 at 06:52 PM.
Fokker210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2004, 01:54 PM   #102 (permalink)
Scout Pilot

Contributor

Since I am still waiting on spar material, I have been practicing some scarf cuts on scrap and this is representative of the type of cut I am getting.

Worldcruiser, again I am jealous of your spar scarf jig - it looks like I am going to have to enlist your services or blatantly and deliberately try and copy your jig !! Just kidding ! Looks great and I'm eager to see more as this is the stage of the project I am on.

Last edited by Fokker210; 28 March 2005 at 06:53 PM.
Old 29 August 2004, 02:40 PM   #103 (permalink)
Forum Ace

Contributor

WorldCruiser and Fokker210- you guys are too much! One thing I appreciate in the photos you share with us is how well thought out your approaches to these construction challenges are. Same goes for Rex! I am really glad we have this forum to meet in- I am learning a lot from you guys!

If WorldCruiser, Fokker210 or Rex have a pretty good color plate of the Dr-1 color scheme you want to go with, let me know. I might be able to print it out for you on a color plotter, like I did the one for me in my ifrst photo on the previous page.
Jim Bruton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2004, 07:50 PM   #104 (permalink)
Scout Pilot

Contributor

Just for a change of pace, tonight I began work on the Spandaus. I'm using a manual mill to create the cooling jackets and it doesn't take long for boredom to set in - kind of like the ribs, these slots get to you after a while !

This pic shows one of the partially completed jackets - the blue color is layout dye. Didn't want anyone to think this is my idea of "blue steel" !

Last edited by Fokker210; 28 March 2005 at 06:54 PM.
Old 3 September 2004, 02:02 AM   #105 (permalink)
Forum Ace

Contributor

I am finally back from Chicago- arrived home and went straight into my shop!

My goal is to build one complete rib first and triple check it in every way before cutting out a zillion pieces. I want to make sure my jigs are tweaked and that all my transfers of measurements are accurate. Then just watch for a huge cloud of sawdust from my area in Connecticut!

Fokker210, that jacket looks great! All of your work you have sent us photos of looks perfect. What's next on the guns?

Ray, I received your ferrule yesterday- it "looks" simple enough to make- are you ready to churn out a few hundred? Ready to receive orders? Just let us know how much for how many! Thank you again for sending one to me to look at.

The approaches ro scarfing you all posted really help a alot. My knowledge of woodworking has mostly been in hand tools (Windsor chairs and Shaker tables.. the Windsors require the most knowledge of wood- working green/dry, steam-bending (making jigs), etc...) and operating Bridegports and metal lathes. Still, there are a lot of power tools I haven't used- like a power planer - that your mods help explain the use of all the more. I am so glad you all are posting this information here- looks like a lot of folks read them! B)

OK! Back to the hangar!

PS - looks like I have found an A&P new friend who can weld up any part of the fuselage we want. His prices are pretty good, tho he lives in California (shipping). I am looking to ask him to make the landing gear (except for anything wooden on it, and the wheels) and all the tail feathers. For the money, I thought it would be great to have that going on while I proceed on the wings. I might find someone nearer to here who could do it for the same price, but unless you weld or simply need to do this yourself- seems a good idea to consider to me. I can give his name to whoever wants it and you too can contact him. Otherwise, if anyone else has any contacts who could make these components for a good price, perhaps we should look at a multiple order. Jig setup time alone might equal a little discount.
Old 8 September 2004, 08:00 PM   #106 (permalink)
Scout Pilot

Contributor

Hope everyone had a great holiday weekend !
Now lets get back to work on the planes !!

Spandau update...Just finished the first cooling jacket and the second is about 2/3 complete.

Pic 1

Last edited by Fokker210; 28 March 2005 at 06:57 PM.
Old 8 September 2004, 08:01 PM   #107 (permalink)
Scout Pilot

Contributor

Spandau pic 2...
Old 9 September 2004, 09:07 AM   #108 (permalink)
Forum Ace

Contributor

Fokker210, Your Spandaus look beautiful- I need to go back and look at how you are making them!
Old 9 September 2004, 08:29 PM   #109 (permalink)
Scout Pilot

Contributor

180 slots and 32 holes later...the Spandau jackets are finished !

Last edited by Fokker210; 28 March 2005 at 06:59 PM. Reason: photo
Old 9 September 2004, 08:31 PM   #110 (permalink)
Scout Pilot

Contributor

The jackets are not as difficult as they might appear, that is, if you have access to the right equipment. The machine shop at Dekalb Tech is state of the art and the staff are bending over backwards to assist me in the build. I am enrolled in some machining classes there at night and it's great to have guys with the experience level of my instructors checking over my work. Many thanks once again to Richard and Stuart !

Now to the jacket construction - All work was done on a manual mill with a digital readout - makes for much faster and more precise work. I turned down a piece of solid steel to the exact dimensions of the inside diameter of the tubing and positioned this in the center of the tube to prevent any crushing in the milling vise. I had previously laid out my starting points so I just started at one end and the chips began flying !

The quarter ended tonight and wont begin again until the beginning of Oct. so all of my metalworking projects are on hold until then ( spar brackets, wheel hubs, gun parts, etc. ). In the meantime, there is plenty of woodwork to keep me busy !