Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

Learn how to remove ads

The Aerodrome Forum

Learn how to remove ads

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > Aircraft > Replica Aircraft

Replica Aircraft Topics related to the construction of WWI replica aircraft

Like Tree247Likes

Old 20 September 2004, 07:18 PM   #141 (permalink)
Scout Pilot

Contributor

Question Past Pics

Will any of the pics previously posted in this thread be showing up again ?
Fokker210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2004, 08:36 AM   #143 (permalink)
kitfoxdave

Coil Ferrules for wires...

Apparently there was an early SAE Standard on the coiled ferrules. In Warner and Johnson's Aircraft Handbook (1930 printing) there is a section on these Oval shaped ferrules. Complete with gauge sizes for checking....
(I think it was page 580) Hope this helps... If need be I'll try to take a digital picture and post if there is interest....

Dave
Old 23 September 2004, 11:24 AM   #144 (permalink)
Two-seater Pilot

ferrules

I would be very intrested in the spec. for the ferrules. Can you scan it and either post it or send me an email??? THanks
worldcrusier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2004, 04:26 PM   #145 (permalink)
Forum Ace

Contributor

suitable new radials?

http://www.rotecradialengines.com/

anyone see a problem with using this engine?
Jim Bruton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2004, 05:53 PM   #146 (permalink)
Scout Pilot

Contributor

Photos

It seems as though Achim still has all of his photos throughout his DVII thread. Even the new photos are coming up in the original full size format. I guess I will have to take Jim's advice and contact the administrator to find out what I need to do to try and get the photos back that were originally posted here. I edited and reposted one photo but had to go back into photoshop and resize....I hope this is not the way to get all the photos reposted.

I hope we get more photos going on this thread again...I look forward to these and find myself checking for builder updates all the time.

I am told my spar material will be here anytime so I need all the help I can get !!
Fokker210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2004, 10:11 PM   #147 (permalink)
Forum Ace

It appears as if you need to host your images on another server, rather more than to upload them using the forum funktion.

At least this is what I usually do. I upload them to my host and just link the image to the forum surface. This way I am independent of forum site html changes.

Achim

I may just sit down and write another book. This time on the whole story ...
AchimEngels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2004, 04:14 AM   #148 (permalink)
Forum Ace

Contributor

I know what you mean- I actually get disappointed when there are no new posts for awhile, like no one has a Life!

I hear that Rex's wheels are on Final Approach now and he should have the gear on the fuse by mid-week. So we'll harangue him for some photos. Fritz and I are going flying this weekend- searching for grass strip homes for our future Fokker squadron. He and i are discussing the possibilities of going in together to build a spar jig table a la Fokker210, and so we can work on that- in his heated shop!- over the winter. i have my rudder currently being built and will look forward to having the rest of the tailplane and landing gear built in order. So there's progress!

WorldCruiser, how go things with you? Nice of Achim to write in, regarding the photos.

Keep 'em coming!
Old 29 September 2004, 03:13 AM   #149 (permalink)
darkangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bruton
http://www.rotecradialengines.com/

anyone see a problem with using this engine?

I love this little engine, it’s so beautiful, that I called the folks who make it and went round and round with them trying to get them to change things such that it could be used for my Sands DR1. The guys there: Paul Chernikeeff and Jim Chernikeeff to date were truly the nicest and most responsive people I’ve ever spoken to in this industry.

But alas, to no avail. The RPM of this engine, even with the geared down box, matches or exceeds modern opposed engines. If you look at the specs you will find that it produces about 110 hp at 3700 RPM. This means that due to tip speed limitations you’ll be putting a prop on that thing no bigger than a Cessna 150. You’ll need a monster of a propeller for the Dr1: 90” – 109” compared to that.

For one thing, it will look pretty funny with that tiny prop up front, on the other hand you really fly a propeller on the front of an airplane not an engine. If you look back on the captured engine trade outs performed on German Triplanes you’ll notice they also used the correct French propellers when they did it.

I only wish they would gear that thing way down, up the torque and lower the RPM. It would be the lightest weight alternative I’ve seen, but then I guess we’d all be throwing lead shot up front to get those tail feathers off the ground.
Old 29 September 2004, 06:11 AM   #150 (permalink)
Forum Ace

Contributor

what about this engine then?

Hi DarkAngel,

Many thanks for your thoughts on this. What about HCI Aviation's R-220?

http://www.hciaviation.com/prod-r220-a.shtml

All the Best,

Jim