Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

Learn how to remove ads

The Aerodrome Forum

Learn how to remove ads

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > Aircraft > Replica Aircraft

Replica Aircraft Topics related to the construction of WWI replica aircraft

Like Tree302Likes

Old 20 July 2005, 05:08 AM   #611 (permalink)
Two-seater Pilot

I'm going to order my steel tubing and have a question for anyone who has already been down this road. What material list did you use, Wicks, Sands, Redfern, your own? What discrepancies, shortages, overages, ommissions did you find during construction?
worldcrusier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2005, 09:14 AM   #612 (permalink)
Forum Ace

I ordered all the metal packages from Wicks as listed on their site.(same as Sands material list) Havent done a proper inventory check but did notice that two pieces of streamline were cut 1" too short. I pointed this out and it was replaced free of charge and they told me to keep the original incorrect streamline.
Havent done much metal work for the aeroplane yet, but have started making the tailskid wear plate and 'shoe' it fits to. I found the full size template for both, shown on the drawings, to be too narrow. Hope there are not too many drawing errors like that when I get on to the major stuff, or it could get expensive.

Last edited by Dogtail2; 20 July 2005 at 09:37 AM.
Dogtail2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2005, 10:47 AM   #613 (permalink)
Two-seater Pilot

My experience with the Sands plans; is that they are good for a set of plans that is a cross between the old style of plans, e.g. here's 6 pages of general info - go and build, compared to some of the modern sets for kitbuilds which can run several hundred pages of accurate detailed dimensioned drawings. I have found minor discrepancies and I usually make a part, wood or steel, from scrap or very inexpensive non-aircraft rated material first to confirm dimensions and fit. Can't emphasize enough studying the drawings and adding up dimensions to confirm to drawing information. Please don't misunderstand my comments as critizism of the plans. I have been involved in equipment manufacturing for many years and there is rarely a drawing that doesn't have something a little off, so I am very used to looking very closely at the drawings I work with. Also, on full size templates on drawings, the reproduction process does not always accurately reproduce an original drawing, so I have been measuring and cross checking the templates.
Old 20 July 2005, 12:35 PM   #614 (permalink)
Forum Ace

How about a list of known errors found on drawings/materials list, posted on the forum? Could save someone a lot of time/inconvenience. I'll start:-

Wing rib front web- lightening hole moves depending on which layout looked at.(Not important)
1/4" tri corner blocking missing from materials list-required for wing tip construction.
25" long capstrip for doubler ribs called for on drg. barely long enough for top capstrip.
Template for tailskid wear plate bracket should be 1/2" wider than shown.

This is in no way intended to be a critizism of the plans which most people will agree are some of the best available, but to help those builders following on.
Old 20 July 2005, 05:33 PM   #615 (permalink)
Scout Pilot

Contributor

A while back, I received some update information from Mr. Sands which included a copy of plans sheet #12. On the section showing the full size aileron detail, the section that reads "note position of inboard rib" has been circled in red and just says "Change". Unfortunately, Mr. Sands passed away before I could get any further information on the necessary "change".

Does anyone have information about exactly what is needed here and what changes are needed ? Any help would be greatly appreciated !
Fokker210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2005, 05:57 AM   #616 (permalink)
Forum Ace

Contributor

I am ordering according to Sands plans/Wicks parts list.

WorldCruiser,

I just got my tubing in- it is at Fritz's, as that is where we will weld everything up. The end of the crate was missing but everything appeared to be packed pretty tight, so not sure yet if anything is missing or not.

DogTail2, appreciate the heads up regarding tubing lengths.

Fritz noticed something else "off" in the plans- I'll have to ask him what it was. It was drawn ALMOST full scale, so close that he thought it was. Had the part fabricated and it was too small. I think that it would be a great idea to point out any other "gotchas" we find, and if nothing else, it might help Ron Sands Jr. out, should he ever decide to include the revisions. I, for one, probably wouldn't be here if it weren't for Ron's plans! =-)

Fokker210, I'll try and call you soon and talk about spars- WorldCruiser, your photos and expertise is greatly appreciated! Thank you all!

I am about to begin making my spars- accidentally bought 3/4" ply instead of 1" ply for the main bed of the spar jig, might use the 16" strips for shelving and for the corner gussets of the legs.... COuld we recaps how you scarfed the joints? I remember a jig/guide for a handheld electric planer.... too bad we lost all of our cool photos when Scott revamped the site!
Jim Bruton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2005, 06:13 AM   #617 (permalink)
Two-seater Pilot

I'll be in Dalton, Georgia, a few miles north of Atlanta, starting Aug 1st for about three weeks. I may have a day off or at least an evening. Anybody close by?? I'd love to visit, I'll even bring the beer.
Old 21 July 2005, 07:21 AM   #618 (permalink)
Forum Ace

Jim,

I have emailed you the scarfing pictures you are interested in. I saved them a while ago. I try to save all pictures I think might be useful in the future. Hope they help.
Old 21 July 2005, 07:37 AM   #619 (permalink)
Scout Pilot

Contributor

WorldCruiser,
It just so happens I live about 10 min. south of Atlanta !
Feel free to come and visit !!
Fokker210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2005, 07:52 PM   #620 (permalink)
Forum Ace

Contributor

Dogtail2,

Thank you so much for the pictures- and to you Worldcruiser and Andy too! When you guys meet, take a pic and post it here! I'm building my spar jig now...
Jim Bruton is offline   Reply With Quote