The Aerodrome News
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

Learn how to remove ads

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > Aircraft > Replica Aircraft

Replica Aircraft Topics related to the construction of WWI replica aircraft

Like Tree247Likes

Old 17 October 2005, 10:02 AM   #701 (permalink)
Two-seater Pilot

Update Fok.Dr1 Project

Jim,
By the way, I am using the 2.7 oz fabric from Poly-fiber. I checked last night when I was working on a patch for the aft fuselage. The small parts used on the a/c, I either manufacture or I have a local machinist do the work. By the way, never trust someone to do the work for you. Most local types have no clue what "aircraft quality" is!
Also, to those gents who frequent this forum ; take everything anyone says here with a grain of salt. Don't go off and try something just because someone suggests it...including myself. Do your research. Join an EAA chapter, and find a mentor if you have no experience with building an a/c or aviation. I have run accross so many knucklheads who are content to run down to the local hardware store for their construction needs!
Also, don't EVEN attempt to start welding until you know what you are doing and understand metallurgy. I have read quite a number of comments here made by well meaning individuals that just makes me cringe!
Also, the DR1 has a lot of room for improvements that will never show on the outside. As an example ; save your money on turnbuckles! You can always use tubing cross bracing for the fuselage. I recall that mine is 5/8 x .35 wall. Many Dr1s have this modification including my own. The other advantage is you don't have to "re-tune" the fuselage when the .090 bracing wires stretch.
Other mods ; tapered flanges. Years ago I went to Chuck Wentworths hanger to discuss his Dr1 and its construction with him. He pointed out on my plans that the use of tapered flanges and the variable sized blocks that are within the spars are a royal pain in the arse to make, and completely a waste of time. The Germans apparently were trying to save wood, and the savings in weight is not worth the effort. Not only was his tripe made this way, but so are others. Mine is too. So much easier to manufacture the spars. But again, don't take my word for it. Do your research.
Here is a group shot of the horizontal stab, rudder, and gear..all completed.
I moved them into my living room because I was spray painting the fuselage. And don't worry..no wife to bitch about plane parts in the house!

[IMG][/IMG]
vongrube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2005, 10:22 AM   #702 (permalink)
Two-seater Pilot

Smile Update Fok.Dr1 Project

By the way. I hear that "Pitts time" is a really great way to prep for this a/c. Maybe I'll get a few hours in an S2 before I go up in mine.
About what got me started into all of this? From what I can remember, it was a little toy triplane I bought when I was 10 years old from a drugstore. I remember that I saved my allowence for weeks to get it. I thought it was the most beautiful airplane I had ever seen! There is just something about the three wings, the scalloped edges, the blood red color, the black crosses on white fields, those lethal looking Spandaus! I just fell in love with it..even at that age.
That progressed into bigger and bigger models. At the age of 14 I made a full scale fuselage mock-up of a Sopwith Pup with cardboard, wood, and bailing wire. Wonder why I didn't make a triplane fuselage? Mmmmm..
Anyway, I remember telling my folks that someday, somehow, I would own a Fokker Triplane. It wasn't until I was much older that I understood how this would become next to impossible given the scarcity and cost of a full scale reproduction.
Well, a lifetime and 30 years in and out of professional aviation later..here I am..building the biggest model yet!
Old 17 October 2005, 11:28 AM   #703 (permalink)
Forum Ace

Contributor

VonGrube,

Love the story from your childhood- I think that strikes a chord with maybe....100% of us here!

Your work looks great- thanks for the photos. I was wondering the same thing about the tapers- what a pain to make, and the changing widths of the flange spacers to boot. Well, next time- too late now. lol.

So what engine will you plan to use and when is Launch Date?

Thanks for sharing with us!

Jim
Jim Bruton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2005, 12:51 PM   #704 (permalink)
Two-seater Pilot

Update Fok.Dr1 Project

Jim,

Well, THAT is a big issue! There are so many options and I have wrestled with that question for years. First I might say that the notion of putting a real rotary engine in my a/c is ludicrous! I want to be able to fly this thing when and where I want to. From what I have seen already of rotary engines is that they are a very dirty, noisy engine. They consume huge quantities of castor oil, then spray it all over the a/c. In addition..and if you can find one, you're looking at about 30K just to purchase it. I also understand that their useful life was under 300 hours!
Radial engines are nice, but you will pay at least 11K for a Warner, and nowadays...probably alot more.
I went round and round with Ron Sands on the Continental W670 issue. He was VERY much against such an idea. The stock rotary weighed in at something around #320 on the mounts. The Continental weighs in at 200lbs over that! I know the argument about saving weight with replica guns, and no ammo. But that doesn't change the fact that you WILL have to beef up the engine mounts, redesign the firewall, and start moving weight around to compensate. All engineering problems that are above and beyond the normal homebuilder. Plus..220hp for this little airplane?...mmmm seems a bit much.
I even thought about a Kinner. Would have been nice but the Kinner is 2" larger in diameter than the 42" Dr1 cowling!
Also have looked at the new manufactured radials coming up. RPM is way to high for the Fokker.
I even considered the M14. Again, there is the weight issue, and a custom engine mount would have to be made to mate this beast to the Fokker. Plus, its just another funky engine from a foreign country. Now you need special tools that can't be come by here in the U.S..etc..etc..
The more time I have spent on this a/c the more I have come to realize that Ron Sands had done his homework! His set of plans for a lycoming is such a nice piece of work, and is really hard to argue with, so..unless I hit the lottery, I will go with an 0-320 / 0-360 Lycoming. Actually I had an 0-320 last year but sold it. I paid $1000 for it and sold it for $4000!
Couldn't pass up that deal!
Old 17 October 2005, 03:22 PM   #705 (permalink)
Two-seater Pilot

I told yas Grube this is the place to be THanks for the deep info. I will be printing this thread for future refernce for when I start mine.Thankd for the great thread guys!

Get your Ultimate Collection in in Color Profiles of WW1 Aircraft here http://www.cbrnp.com/RNP/CDv2/index.htm

All work done by Bob Pearson.

and no....... I am not Bob Pearson..
Jasta 5 Von Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2005, 06:44 PM   #706 (permalink)
Forum Ace

Contributor

Jasta 5 Von Muller, hope you are doing OK down there in Cajun country- our hearts are with you!
Jim Bruton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2005, 03:08 AM   #707 (permalink)
Forum Ace

Question paint question????

Just a quick of subject question for every one .
Why do most of the builders pick Manfredís air plain to paint?
tengew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2005, 04:12 AM   #708 (permalink)
Forum Ace

Paint Suggestiion

Quote:
Originally Posted by tengew
Just a quick of subject question for every one .
Why do most of the builders pick Manfredís air plain to paint?
A guy at Rhinebeck has a good marketing idea. he wanted to look for those little die cast model triplanes and paint his tripe the same colors so he could sell little diecast models of HIS plane when he traveled to airshows. smart thinking!
Jeff Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2005, 06:20 AM   #709 (permalink)
Two-seater Pilot

Oh yea all things are good here, I live in Metairie which is the suburbs of N.O. . ALOT of damage but my apartment survived and also my job was still there when I returned. Things could be better but im managing

Get your Ultimate Collection in in Color Profiles of WW1 Aircraft here http://www.cbrnp.com/RNP/CDv2/index.htm

All work done by Bob Pearson.

and no....... I am not Bob Pearson..
Jasta 5 Von Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2005, 06:55 AM   #710 (permalink)
Two-seater Pilot

Update Fok.Dr1 Project

As a response to the question about paint scheme for the triplane.
First of all, I love the color red. I have owned both a Jeep Wrangler, and a Corvette. Both were blood red in color. In fact I had plans for painting my very first vehicle red, then I sold it before I had a chance to do that.
So..its a "Red" thing with me. In fact my girlfriend is a redhead!
The other reason it is that using one color overall is actually the most cost effective.Poly-Tone paint is VERY expensive! It is also easier to paint a one-color paint scheme.
The fact that it is the color scheme of the Red Baron has little to do with my reasons. In fact, when I bought my very first model of the Fokker triplane, I didn't even know who the Red Baron was!
I just think the airplane is beautiful in red. Especially while sitting on a concrete tarmac on a bright sunny summer day! Just breath taking!