The Aerodrome News
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

Learn how to remove ads

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > Aircraft > Replica Aircraft

Replica Aircraft Topics related to the construction of WWI replica aircraft

Closed Thread

Old 25 October 2004, 03:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
kitfoxdave

Sopwith Pup

Is anybody out there building a Sopwith Pup replica? I've got a lot of questions!

Dave

Old 25 October 2004, 05:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Ace

Dave,

Are you doing an "authentic" replica? IF so, contact the folks at the San Diego Aerospace Museum. I took some detail pics, I'll try to post some later.
(they have an uncovered replica in the lobby)

"My point is that KILLING BABIES ON PURPOSE IS NEVER OKAY. " - Craig

"Not even before they are born! " - ME

"Is nailing Jell-O to the wall productive?" - Barker
Old 25 October 2004, 08:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
kitfoxdave

Pup pictures

Yeah it was a beauty, I saw it this summer and took about 30 pictures. Nice example!
Dave

Old 25 October 2004, 08:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Scout Pilot

Dave,
We are working on an "authentic" Pup and will be happy to attempt to answer questions or point you in the direction of someone who can.
Regards,
William
Canvas Falcon Engineering
www.canvasfalcon.com
[email protected]
[email protected]
Old 30 October 2004, 06:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
kitfoxdave

Red face pup info

thanks for the help guys, my replys and such will be a bit sporadic over the next month... Engine out in the kitfox and wiped out a grapefruit tree....
"A few wounds to heal and back out to the front" starting to feel like Nunggueser...

Thanks again.

Freinds don't let freinds fly 2 strokes.... Believer now!

Old 28 November 2004, 08:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
Two-seater Pilot

Dave,

I am building a Pup replica too. To my knowledge William et al at CFE and I are the only ones building true copies today. Ken Hyde may have started too - he has gathered almost all the parts, including instruments, castings and 3 (three!) LeRhone engines...

Please feel free to ask any questions!

Best regards,

Magnus Lord, Stockholm, SWEDEN
Old 28 November 2004, 09:31 AM   #7 (permalink)
Scout Pilot

Smile

Magnus,
Glad to hear that you are still kicking. With 4 small children and a demanding career we get a bit demoralized at times. Finally our front engine plate is finished and I'll post some pics. So far we have the data-plate N6174 (Roy Brown made his first kill in it), front engine plate, stern post, fuselage clips, throttle quad, pulso, grip, petrol/oil tank, correct early instruments minus a Mark III tacho (the one with the pie-slice read out rather than 360 degree), most of the Sopwith-Kauper interrupter gear, Vickers gun, turnbuckles, streamlined tube for landing gear struts, and cowl. There may be a few more odds and ends but can't recall. English Ash on the way for longerons so maybe if it snows enough this winter we'll accomplish something. So, if Ken has three 80 Le Rhones that makes one for each of our projects , right?
How are you coming along? A new laser cutter operation just set up near by and we will subcontract cutting through them. If you need any flat parts cut let us know. There are certainly other folks out there building Pups that are "authentic".
Best regards,
William
[email protected]
Old 28 November 2004, 09:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
Two-seater Pilot

William,

Nice to hear from you too! Sounds like you are working with great progress. I don't understand how you manage to find the time!!!

I bought a Piper J3 Cub half a year ago and I have been busy restoring it since. (I bought it in flying condition, but when I did an early annual I realized that it wasn't my best buy ever... ).

I started the Pup project again a week ago. Feels good! I am doing wood work and also learning gas welding, which is great fun. I have 800 pounds of wood and tubing in my living room, but I finally managed to find a workshop nearby in Stockholm as my new working space.

By the way - I am looking for some S.L drawings. I have almost all of them, but I am missing 147A (open cable lug), 125 (Throttle quadrant ball joint), 179 (fuel gage) and 186 (oil tank strainer). Maybe some more, cause I haven't had time to compile them all yet. Do you know where to find them?

I don't remember - do you use 4130 or mild steel? And also, if you are interested in selling any of the castings I would be interested.

Best regards,

Magnus
Old 28 November 2004, 10:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
Scout Pilot

Magnus,
I think we have all the SL drawings but will take a day or two to go through them. Send us an e-mail with what you need and I'll search for them. I also have some microfilm scanned to disc that I haven't catalogued yet so may be in there too. MSP is a close equivalent of what was used at the time. We make extras of all the castings we produce to help defray cost over time, let us know what you need and I'll have Lucy break down the cost.
Warm regards,
William
[email protected]
Closed Thread