It occured to me that some forum members maybe amused at the trials and tribulations of inverting a Fairchild Ranger engine. On that premise, away we go..
The engine in question is a L-440-C5 version rated at 200 hp on 87 octane fuel. I acquired this about 5 years ago and decided that it was best to store it in a heated and dry corner until I was ready to tackle an overhaul.
What I purchased was literally the firewall forward from a Cornell (Pt-19/26). It even had cowlings, nose bowl and prop hub. When I picked it up from far off New York state, it was strapped to a palette that filled the back of my borrowed Ranger pickup (appropriate). The engine sat higher than the top of the cab and filled the bed. A single piece of 3/4" ply was used to wedge the palette in place.
Customs took the whole thing in their stride and calmly asked it I had "anything to declare"!
After photographing everything in sight, I started disassembly.
Everything was still connected from carb linkages through vacum lines, oil system and bits that have yet to be identified. About 3 hours later it looked like this:
I need a rolling stand to strip and then assemble the engine on so, earlier this week I made this table out of 1/4" angle and rectangular tube.
BTW, TIG welding 1/4" steel generates a huge amount of heat. I used the largest electrode I have, 3/32" and about 100 amps of current. Should of used the gas but it was in the back corner.
Hopefully tomorrow it will be rid of all ancillaries and on the stand.