Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

Learn how to remove ads

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > Aircraft > Replica Aircraft

Replica Aircraft Topics related to the construction of WWI replica aircraft

Like Tree1Likes

Closed Thread

Old 18 July 2009, 09:22 AM   #231 (permalink)
Forum Ace

Looking From the front .Filler & copper breather to neck on Left of machine.

Old 18 July 2009, 09:25 AM   #232 (permalink)
Forum Ace

Inside view of filler neck attachment....also flanged Baffle plate .

Old 18 July 2009, 09:37 AM   #233 (permalink)
Forum Ace

Construction

The shell is lock seemed together and riveted first , followed by the "U" channel stiffeners and union / attachement plates and the central baffle , which stiffens the thin 22swg shell . This is followed by the filler neck assembly with the copper breather to aid filling to the top ...This is the progress stage at which the tanks appear in the previous photos .... All is finish soldered and checked prior to then proceeding with the remainder ...(continued )
Old 18 July 2009, 10:37 AM   #234 (permalink)
Forum Ace

Continued

The "dished " end plates , pre- drilled with the shell when the whole was prior assembled over the wooden "plug " * , are now refitted to these existing rivet holes , with the "Tie rod assembly" , which takes the preasure loading of the end plates , fitting inside , joining the ends together ......( * The wooden plug is of the exact internal shape of the tank , which is then formed around it , thus ensuring its trueness ,..At this stage , the rivet holes are drilled )......With the ends located by their rivet holes , the end plates are soldered to the shell , the whole having been previously been tinned...Lastly , the overlap flange is knocked over to crimp down on the end plate flange , . Rivet holes drilled through the remaining skin and the whole thing riveted up and soldered over....Caps cover the tension rod flange fittings to seal it completely......All followed by thorough rince in soda solution then clean water ,checking for leaks etc,....A complete description may follow the auxhilary tank detail.
Old 18 July 2009, 10:40 AM   #235 (permalink)
Forum Ace

Tension rod connection flange , before cover caps fitted.

Old 18 July 2009, 10:43 AM   #236 (permalink)
Forum Ace

Drain tap which fits into the above photo Union.All hand made.

Old 18 July 2009, 10:47 AM   #237 (permalink)
Forum Ace

Complete tank viewed from the right hand, Rear (looking Fwd.)

Old 18 July 2009, 11:43 AM   #238 (permalink)
Forum Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McKenzie View Post
......I did in fact many years ago , put in a request for this document to Henry Hall who was at the time , Keeper of aircraft RAF museum , (for whom I was constructing the aircraft ), and who was therefor dealing with all matters arising from the contract from their end .......
........The request had apparently been passed to Richard Simpson ,(research assistant then , I believe ) ,for action...!!!...However , after many months and re-requests , still no information on the subject was forthcomming ,.........
...........It transpired that my whole request had been "Lost in the system " ,........I never ever did get a copy of the document....Regards John.
Dear John
I settled down at starbucks with a big cup of coffee and went through your postings from the start... what a wonderful project you are doing. congrats!

As for your request (your story above), I can imagine some govt. chap with green eye shades consulting a copy of the Defence of the Realm Act while deliberating your request... and then retiring before answering! At least you are authentically re-creating the experiences of the manufacturers with govt. back then (and since, and now)...
marc
keep up the good work!
Old 19 July 2009, 05:32 AM   #239 (permalink)
Forum Ace

Hi Marc .Thanks , glad you enjoyed it...(the thread AND the coffee )...Re the quote , (I can't do the quote bit yet on here )....I think that you got it a little bit mixed up , ... No one actually retired at this particular time , .(.just inter-departemental stuff at RAFM )...But no matter ,. The final outcome , as far as I was concerned , was the same......" No answer to my request "........Now , back to the main petrol tank ...JM
Old 19 July 2009, 05:34 AM   #240 (permalink)
Forum Ace

Closed Thread