Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

Learn how to remove ads

The Aerodrome Forum

Learn how to remove ads

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > Aircraft > Replica Aircraft

Replica Aircraft Topics related to the construction of WWI replica aircraft

Closed Thread

Old 21 August 2003, 05:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Ace

This is a picture of Tom Gaylord (hat) and Wayne Jones working on the top wing of the Fokker D.VII. *Fabric has just been pulled over the framework and has yet to be tightened. In the background is another top wing for a Fokker D.VII.
Sponsored Links
Old 21 August 2003, 05:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Ace

Here is a picture of the bottom of the bottom wing of our Fokker D.VII. The black cross has been painted over the white surround. As I mentioned in a previous posting (July volunteer work) this particular pattern was an intermediate one found on some Fokker D.VII's, including the von Hantlemann aircraft, the one we are portraying.
Old 22 August 2003, 02:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Ace

Head honcho Roger Freeman doing a little ironing.
Old 22 August 2003, 02:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Ace

It helps to have a lot of people available to slip on the fabric envelope, especially the large one that fits the top wing. From left to right, Gary Marsden (his back), Chris Backer, Tom Gaylord (hat), Roger Freeman (Founder of Vintage Aviation Historical Foundation and owner of Vintage Aviation Services), Bill Broussard (yours truly) and Dick Schenck. Dick is really something. He's 84 years old and he volunteers several days a week. I hope I'm that active 30 years hence.
Old 22 August 2003, 03:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Ace

By the way, the fabric is from Ross Walton's vintage fabric company in Kentucky. More details can be seen on the Canvas Falcons engineering website.
Old 28 August 2003, 06:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Ace

Another interesting piece of the aircraft is a cloth bulkhead that sits behind the pilot. It was made of a wide variety of material, even sometimes using lozenge printed material. We're using light canvas. All control cables, except for the ailerons pass through this. It is laced to the fuselage frame.
Old 29 August 2003, 05:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Ace

Whats the method of tightening the fabric? I see the photo of Roger Freeman ironing- is it just thst simple? Or is more involved.
"In the final analysis, war is far more than an extension of politics. It is the most complex, demanding, and unpredictable of all human endeavors - as learned from 1914 to 1918." - from (with slight alteration) the introduction of "Pyrrhic Victory" by Robert A. Doughty (US Army Ret.).

"Frankly, I had enjoyed the war." Adrian Carton de Wiart
Old 29 August 2003, 08:05 AM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Ace

It's that simple.
Old 29 August 2003, 04:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Ace

Hey Bill,
You guys are going like gangbusters on the D.VII--any plans to bring it to Dayton for display?
Lyle
Old 3 September 2003, 04:50 AM   #10 (permalink)
Forum Ace

Weldboy - the lozenge fabric you see is dacron and shrinks with heat (either an iron or a heatgun). I believe it can shrink up to 7%. It's plenty of leeway for a nice tight fit. Original fabric (such as linen)was not shrunk by heat. It was shrunk first by making it damp and then letting it dry. It was subsequently shrunk when nitrate dope is applied and allowed to dry. We use nitrate dope as the first couple of coats on the dacron but we use the non-shrinking variety.

Lyle - I'd love to but while I had originally thought about bringing it to Dayton, the cost of transport was too high. That big top wing is the problem. Most other aircraft break down into half-wings but not this one. Couldn't justify the cost and even if I could I can't attend Dayton (I'm crying). I'm in nursing school and now can't spare the time (sigh). Besides that, we're pushing the D.VII to be ready (as a static prop) for a hollywood movie about Howard Hughes. Jack Kearbey will be at Dayton with his newly finished SE5a. Be sure to take a look at it, beautiful. It too will be off to Hollywood to be in the movie as well after Dayton.
Closed Thread