Today in History

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > Aircraft

Aircraft Topics related to WWI aircraft, aircraft engines and armament

Closed Thread

Old 14 June 2003, 04:59 PM   #1
wingedwarrior

Hi everyone,

I realize that this has probably been asked before many times, but I need to have it clarified again! Concerning the painted Green/Mauve wing and tail camouflage on the Albatros D.Va, if the top wing is:

Mauve/Green/Mauve

what color sequence is correct for the bottom wings and tail? I have seen variations and I am wondering how standard this camouflage pattern actually was.

regards

Old 15 June 2003, 10:18 AM   #2
StephenLawson
Shot Down

Greetings Wingedwarrior:It appears that from the factory every 50 or so Alb. D. type a/c in a production batch were similar in their camouflage patterns. There were variations of course. Dan-San Abbott would be able to tell us more. Specifically it depends on which airframe at which time in its existance your discussing. You may have to go back and check some older threads.
Old 15 June 2003, 02:41 PM   #3
Dan_San_Abbott
Rest in Peace

My Gallery
wingedwarrior:
If you have mauve/green/mauve om the upper wing the lower wings will invariably, green/ mauve|fuselage|mauve /green. The tailplane will generally be green / mauve/ green
Blue skies,
Dan-San
Old 15 June 2003, 04:07 PM   #4
StephenLawson
Shot Down

Dan - San IMHO The MAN.
Old 15 June 2003, 04:27 PM   #5
Rob_Owens
Forum Ace

Dan-San, Not to be a Pain in the A__, but the only two sources readily available to me show green/mauve/green for the top wing. Would that then result in a mirror image of that which you described? IOW, was there an equivalent of the RAF WWII "A" & "B" schemes (standard pattern, color's reversed)? TIA, Rob
Old 15 June 2003, 07:27 PM   #6
Dan_San_Abbott
Rest in Peace

My Gallery
Rob Owens:
If the upper wing was green/mauve/green, the lower wing would be mauve/green| fuselage} green/mauve.
when I first started studying the Albatros camouflage schemes I thought they may have used the RAF A & B camouflage scheme. however, that was not the case. Albatrros used assymetrical, first 2 color schemes of dark green and rust brown on the Alb.D.I and the C.V aircraft. Very quickly they switched a three color scheme of pale brunswick green, dark green and rust brown on the upper surfaces with sky blue under surfaces (2 & 3 color schemes). These scheme were assymeterical and there were 6 or 7 patterns on both the C and D class aircraft. These color pattern were used through the D.II and all 1916 serial numbered aircraft, Alb. D.III and Alb.C.X aircraft. There were left and right / patterns, but not necessarily mirrow images. I have color plates of the camouflage schemes of all of the Albatros aircraft built by Albatros and those built under license by OAW, BFW, LVG, Roland, and Linke Hoffmann of C, D and J aircraft. with supporting text. I am planning to put them on Compact Discs.
Blue skies,
Dan-San

Old 16 June 2003, 03:37 AM   #7
Rob_Owens
Forum Ace

Dan-San, Only remaining questions: CD release date? Price? Do you take checks? I have Bob Pearson's Colours & Markings CD, and the addition of yours (I already have your D.VIII plate on hardcopy) would make my WWI's Greatest Hits collection complete! Thanks, Rob
Old 16 June 2003, 08:10 AM   #8
Dan_San_Abbott
Rest in Peace

My Gallery
Rob Owens:
The CDs will come, when I don't know? Terry Crisp has been working with me on this project. I want the colors to be precise and accurate. My concentration right now is on the book, it is foremost in my mind. Yesterday we identified the markings for Schlasta 33. At the present time I am doing paste up of the Hannover Cl.II,III, and IIIa drawings. Then I have the Halb. Cl.II and variants and the Halb. Cl.IV. These will be in five views.
Other color drawings will be in profiles, illustrating the Schusta/Schlasta markings. I have estimated 15 color plates, published page size will be 8½" x 11" and all drawings will be in 1/72 scale.
Regarding the CD I have not arrived at a price but it will be reasonably priced.
Blue skies,
Dan-San
Old 16 June 2003, 02:49 PM   #9
wingedwarrior

Thank you Dan for clearing up my concerns. Now I can finish that model that I started!

regards

Old 18 June 2003, 07:25 AM   #10
JFM
Forum Ace

My Gallery
Hello.

I'm still learning this stuff, so please have mercy on me.

Is the upper wing's camouflage, working left to right across the planform, *always* going to be mauve/green/mauve? Or, will some planes have m/g/m while others will have g/m/g?
Closed Thread