The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > People

People Topics related to WWI aviation personnel

Closed Thread

Old 10 April 2004, 05:08 AM   #1
Alan
Forum Ace

http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/av...62-planes.html

Thanks to our illustrious webmaster Scott and our own Greg VanWyngarden, I was able to transcribe an article from Fawcett's 1931 Pulp magazine on Ernst Udet. As was related to me by Greg, it is a bit pulpish considering the era in which it was written, but it does contain some information and perspective that I believe has value.

Stewart Taylor's article in the Fall 2003 OTF makes reference to it as well.

All in all, one must make their own opinion as to its significance. But until now, to the best of my knowledge, it only resides at one place on the internet - here!

Enjoy!
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. -Theodore Roosevelt

Sponsored Links
Old 10 April 2004, 07:01 AM   #2
Rick
Rest in Peace

Nicely done and very interesting. Thanks Alan and Greg. R.
Old 12 April 2004, 01:52 PM   #3
Craig
Forum Ace

Thanks fpr pointing that out. Never saw it before, though I've been here, oh, a time or two. What Udet said about MvR and the nature of the British fliers he met was the most illuminating and entertaining, to me.

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."

- Denis Diderot
Old 13 April 2004, 06:03 AM   #4
Alan
Forum Ace

Craig, I don't think you'd have seen it here before because to the best of my knowledge, it has never, ever seen the internet until now.

When I received it I asked Greg if it was ok to share it here as I believe, and as you have read, that it does have value.
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. -Theodore Roosevelt

Old 13 April 2004, 11:06 AM   #5
FliegerJG1
Forum Ace

Alan, Greg and Scott,

Many thanks for the Udet article...it is quite interesting. It's a very helpful resource in that Udet's recollections are some which are not found elsewhere and he actually knew MvR.

The story on how Udet was invited to join JG1 differs from the other one that commonly appears...i.e. MvR was driving a car in the rain. He pulled up to Udet's aerodrome; wrote with his walking stick in the mud and asked Udet if he'd like to join the men of JG1.

Best Regards, FliegerJG1