The Aerodrome Forum
Help
Links to Other Sites
Medals and Decorations
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > Games and Flight Sims

Games and Flight Sims Topics related to Red Baron, Dawn Patrol and other WWI aviation games

Closed Thread

Old 11 January 2003, 11:48 AM   #1
MichaelWheet

Where are all high-end the WW I flight sims?

All I want is the campaign mode of the original Red Baron, with graphics and flight models on par with Microsoft's FS 2002. How hard is that? :-/

Old 14 January 2003, 01:52 AM   #2
FinnN
Two-seater Pilot

Evidently very!

Having said that you can get a fair number of CFS2 WW1 planes, most of which will work in FS2002 although most aren't really anywhere near the same quality of the best FS2002 aircraft. There are some nice vintage planes for FS2002, but most are payware. Bill Lyon's Tiger Moth is my favourite of these:

http://windrfters.com/

However there is some hope on the horizon in the shape of CFS3. It has a quite reasonable dynamic campaign engine, pretty much the same flight models as FS2002 and arguably better graphics (the planes certainly are, the terrain is a bit more debatable). In many ways the campaign engine has lots of features more in line with a WW1 scenario than a WW2 one. Out of the box it's a little ropey but there's already a lot of tweaks and there's (more importantly) a patch in the works that addresses some important issues for WW1 (such as the lack of level bombing behaviour in the AI and closeup gunnery). Also there's a terrain toolkit coming out in a few months. I'm working on a few WW1 aircraft but I've been at it in a rather stop-start-stop-start way - they will come out in the end though! Add-ons for CFS3 have been a little slower than for CFS2 and FS2002, but the quality is generally higher and when FSDS (one of the two tools that can eb used for making planes) supports CFS3 I'm sure we'll see some of the better CFS2 WW1 planes being ported over.

Also there's IL2 which is another decent game and the new FB version of it addresses the main problem with the original game - a rather poor (but still fun) campaign. I believe there are some people working on a WW1 add-on for this, but as everything has to go through the game publisher to work in the game I have to say that I'm doubtful whether or not anything will come of it in the end. I'd love to be wrong though.

Have fun
Finn
Old 18 January 2003, 06:27 PM   #3
MichaelWheet

Thanks for the reply FinnN. I've got some of the WW I and Golden Age A/C plugged into my FS2002 and CFS2, but it just isn't the same without a proper campaign mode.

But now, some good news! 8)

I got my CH Products USB Pro flight controllers last week, you have got to get some if you are a hardcore flight simmer! I can program up to 147 seperate keystrokes into the many buttons, hats, and switches on the throttle and flightstick, and I've got proportional, differential toe brakes and rudder control on the pedals. I can do everything from switching on at the beginning of a flight to switching off at the end without ever taking my hands off the stick and throttle. Even things like adjusting the mixture, prop pitch, mag check, trims, and NAVCOM are done without the keyboard. Way cool!

Behind my rudder pedals I've got a Harmon/Kardon subwoofer. I built a hollow wooden wedge shaped box to get my pedals at a comfortable angle, then attached the wedge box to my subwoofer box. Now I feel all the throbby engine noises and vibrations in my feet on the rudder pedals, just like the real thing! My next purchase is going to be an eDimensional Intensor LX Tactile Feedback Chair so I can feel ALL the bumps, rumbles, and bangs properly.

Closed Thread