The Aerodrome Forum
Help
Links to Other Sites
Medals and Decorations
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > Archives > 2001

2001 Closed threads from 2001 (read only)

Old 26 December 2001, 04:22 AM   #1
stephen
Forum Ace

Does anyone have the French town locating CD called the "Gazetteer of Northern France," sold by C&C Intnat'l?

Can you give me any details as to how it works and what you think of it? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 27 December 2001, 11:57 AM   #2
Immo_Frese
Forum Ace

Very interesting question Stephen! I would like to hear some info about it too!

I have heard some rumours that the Gazetteer covers the french cards of the french Institut Geographique National. As far as I know there are different series. Le série bleue has 1:25000 scale. That would be great!

Anybodey out there who knows for sure?
Old 27 December 2001, 03:49 PM   #3
stephen
Forum Ace

Is this an old map system that includes the old french names and spellings, or is it an adaptation of a modern map? I'm really in the dark on this if anyone knows anything. Thanks.
Old 27 December 2001, 06:27 PM   #4
Ira_Silverman
Scout Pilot

The C&C Gazeteer is not a CD, but rather a 3-1/2 in. floppy that contains zipped files that load onto your hard drive and become Microsoft Word *.doc files.

The core of the Gazeteer is a 250 page table of place names that cross-reference to a series of French IGN maps. A master map is provided, but to get local information, the total area of France is covered by hundreds of maps. The areas of interest, say Western Front, could probably be covered by 50-60 maps, each of which must be purchased separately. Gets expensive, fast.

There is a separate file that cross-references old place names with new, where possible, and a wartime calendar. Also an introduction to the British Army's map referencing system.

There is a "How to Use" file to get started. Stephen, I'll e-mail you a copy of that particular file so you can judge for yourself.

IMO, the Gazeteer is useful only if you are looking (a) very generally, or (B) in close detail at a very local area. It's the vast middle ground where you want to look at more than just a few local areas where it becomes cumbersome (and costly).

For what it is, the Gazeteer isn't expensive, but those are just the starting costs. But in my view, money would be better spent investing in the IWM Trench Map Archive on CD.

Expensive, but boy is it ever worth it!

VBR,

Ira
Old 27 December 2001, 06:31 PM   #5
Rick
Rest in Peace

Ira, *One other expense you didn't mention is that since the files are 'zipped', now you have to purchase the unzipper (or whatever it is called) and pray that it works. *I say this only in the sense that I have only been successful in 'unzipping' roughly 25% of the zipped files I have received. *Wonder what's on the other 75% ??? *Guess I will never know. * *R.
Old 27 December 2001, 06:53 PM   #6
Ira_Silverman
Scout Pilot

Hi Rick:

If I recall correctly, the Gazeteer files may have been self-extracting.

In regards to zip files, I've rarely had any difficulty unzipping them. Try this link: http://www.winzip.com/

Download a free copy of Winzip, and see how it works for you.

Best regards,

Ira
Old 6 January 2002, 04:02 PM   #7
Darryl
Forum Ace

Hi All,

I agree totally with Ira on this one, execpt that you can cover the entire British Front in 7 or 8 IGN maps. I am at work and don't have the "series" info but they are a great start to then move on to the Trench Maps (the greatest publication of maps I have ever seen). *I think the *IGN's cost about the equivalent of US$8 each. (mine were a gift).

BTW The IWM and Naval & Military Press have just released a CD of the Mil Ops France & Belgium maps...another great find. *

Stephen, i also found quickly that printing out the Gazeteer is the only way to travel.

it gives a bearing and distance to each small place from the nearsest "major" town.
eg. "Hicksville" *SSW 17 KMs of "Jonestown" and IIRC it also gives the Map name eg..Arras/Laon map.

For the 'anal' it is an essential reference.

very best regards

Darryl
Old 7 January 2002, 03:45 AM   #8
Darryl
Forum Ace

Hello Again,

The maps required to cover the front (or most thereof) are as follows:

IGN Serie Verte 1:100 000
1cm pour 1km

No 2 Lille Dunkerque
No 4 Laon Arras
No 9 Paris Laon
No 10 Reims Verdun
No 11 Nancy-Metz Luxembourg

Michelin road maps at 1cm = 2km are also a good start but I found them hard to use until I had a better idea of the geography. The writing is smaller and a lot of small villages are missing.

The Walking Maps, 1 : 25000 would be ideal but as Ira said, this works out expensive.

So there you have it. For the price of a good book you can get the Gazeteer and 5 maps. If you add the price of a small third world nation you can also get the Trench Maps and Official History maps along with a couple of new Big Bertha Drivers to square off with "War Office". :-/

very best regards

Darryl
Old 7 January 2002, 04:21 AM   #9
stephen
Forum Ace

Ira and Darryl;

Thank you very much for your input. That is a really big help. Darryl, you and I have talked alot before about my research at Fontaine and Cambrai... considering the relatively small area that I need to research and the fact that I know where it is geographically, do you guys think the Gazeteer would do the job and have the minute detail that I need?

Thanks again for all the info.
Old 7 January 2002, 04:33 AM   #10
Darryl
Forum Ace

Hi Stephen,

Given the limited area and the level of detail in the Gazetteer I would think that it probably wouldn't be of much use to you.

No 4 Laon Arras and the four "Walking Maps" in the are probably your best bet. If you then have any specific questions you could email me and I could look them up on the Trench Maps. If you have the spare cash though, IWM Trench Maps CD is THE goods.

regards

Darryl