The Aerodrome Forum
Help
Links to Other Sites
Medals and Decorations
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > Archives > 2002

2002 Closed threads from 2002 (read only)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 23 January 2002, 04:37 AM   #1
StefenK

Elsewhere on the Forum there is an ongoing thread about the overall finish of Fok. Eindeckers. Here I would like focus on one particular machine, the oft-profiled E.III 105/15 of Udet (Datafile 15, page 3, bottom).

This has been rendered in every reference known to me with a red forward diagonal band. However, the tonal value of this band in the photograph (which I take to be sole visual evidence of the marking) does not support this color assignment as it is significantly lighter than the unpainted fabric of the forward fuselage. I am unaware of any film type of the period that would have rendered red as lighter than the fabric color--be it straw yellow or beige. I would therefore be very interested in learning on what (other) basis the band may have been identified as redóassuming there was such a basis. Ideas for other color assignments are welcome.

TIA to all,
Stefen