Books and Film
The Aerodrome Forum
Help
Links to Other Sites
Medals and Decorations
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > Aircraft > Camouflage, Colors and Markings

Camouflage, Colors and Markings Topics related to Camouflage, Colors and Markings of WWI aircraft

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 21 March 2005, 02:31 PM   #1
edvalerio
Observer

German Naval AC Camouflage

I recently joined the forum and have just finished burning up my eyeballs going through all the back-threads dealing with German AC camo - especially the lozenge systems. The amount of work you guys have put into researching this subject is truly astounding, making it rather odd to me that nowhere does Kriegsmarine AC camo appear to be discussed. Not only did there seem to be some sort of evolutionary process involved, but the end result was some really sexy lozenge schemes peculiar to seaplanes only. I have seen the two types of lozenge types on decals produced by Americal/Gryphon, but have no idea whatever if the colors are accurate, or indeed why there are two schemes in the first place. I know some companies had particular practices (i.e. H-B W29s and W33s appeared to leave horizontal surfaces in a solid color, Sablatnig used a stripey scheme on occasion, etc) but that's about it as far as my knowledge goes. Can any of you folks provide a thumbnail history of Kriegsmarine AC schemes in general, and perhaps some insight into the whys and wherefores of the two differently-colored lozenge schemes? Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks much- Ed
Sponsored Links