The Aerodrome Forum
Help
Links to Other Sites
Medals and Decorations
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > Archives > 1998

1998 Closed threads from 1998 (read only)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 31 December 1998, 01:11 AM   #1
stephen
Forum Ace

For those of you interested in my (very long term) efforts to replace the missing plaque on Frank Luke's monument in Murveaux, France, here's what I know so far:

Letters to the American Battle Monuments Commission have determined that the monument in question is not under their jurisdiction. Rather than dumping me out in the cold, however, a kind man named Mr. Hooker has contacted me and told me of his intent to find out from the mayor of Murveaux just who is responsible for the monument. I've also received the sad but anticipated news that nothing in France is easy, thanks to the multiple and often overlapping layers of beaurocratic stupidity. I've been warned repeatedly that you simply cannot arrive with a new plaque and stick it up there. Doing anything that easily would no doubt displace several government workers from their jobs and force them into a real life employment situation where they clearly could not function.

My latest note from Mr. Hooker:

"Mr. Skinner - I sent a reminder to the Meuse-Argonne Cemetery superintendent
concerning the monument for Lt. Luke. I will be transferring any information I
receive. Regards, Hans Hooker"

At this point, Mr. Hooker's kindness is our best hope for finding out just who is in charge around here. In the meantime, I have not made any efforts to start a fund toward this end. I'm sure that donors will feel much better once we have better and more complete information on the subject, and specifically, what we can do.

Again, we are dealing with governments and their employees, so we must fully anticipate making progress at roughly the same rate as a polar ice flow, with about half the intelligence. I am still hoping against hope that this will be one of the few monuments erected by an enterprising individual so that something concrete can actually be accomplished.

But for all our forumite Frankophiles, now you know. More information forthcoming as it can be forcibly extracted. Stay tuned.
Sponsored Links