3-view Scale Drawings Topics related to 3-view Scale Drawings of WWI aircraft

Closed Thread

Old 4 August 2021, 12:59 PM   #1
Brad
Forum Ace of Aces

First thread, first post...

Something I ordered from the UK. Ponnier M.1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AVIA 14_56_8_1 SMALL.jpg (657.9 KB, 84 views)

No war for environmentalists! Drill here!

"My point is that KILLING BABIES ON PURPOSE IS NEVER OKAY. " - Craig

"Not even before they are born! " - ME

"Is nailing Jell-O to the wall productive?" - Barker
Sponsored Links
Old 5 August 2021, 01:47 AM   #2
Colin A Owers
Forum Ace
Contributor

Three Views

As an old creator of three-views I still have a lot of my original drawings. I usually tried to draw in a scale larger than that they would be reproduced at. For 1/48 I would use 1/36 or 1/32.

I tried to use the best available material and have a fair collection of drawings from MAN, MAP, and where I could get them, original plans. Of course factory 3-views were just to show the layout and can not be relied on without other data.

Usually, when a great looking drawing was selected as a base, it would be wrong when you tried to make parts fit. Sometimes the most basic outline drawing was the best to use.

In these days of computer drafting I am a Luddite and this is one reason I have given up drafting, as well as getting old and cranky.

There are some great people producing plans these days and they need to be encouraged and congratulated on theier work.

Colin A Owers
Old 5 August 2021, 03:30 AM   #3
Gregvan
Forum Ace of Aces

Colin, your 3-views and various plans and profiles are all superb - some of my best and earliest inspirations!!

While not quite 3-views, here are some German drawings of a captured Nieuport, complete with dimensions. Some of the best available drawings are those made of captured aircraft by various military and journalistic draftsmen. The drawings of captured German aircraft in "L'Aerophile" are superb and beautiful examples of the art. In fact, some of them were copied and reproduced in the German magazine "Flugsport", since, presumably, official plans of German aircraft were confidential and out of bounds for a German magazine. Similarly, Jane's sometimes re-published drawings of French and British a/c that had appeared in Flugsport.

If I'm not mistaken, these represent a Nieuport 10 configured as a single-seater. The Germans captured quite a few Nieuport 10's, and later types as well.

An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.
Niels Bohr
Old 6 August 2021, 06:08 PM   #4
Maxim08
Forum Ace of Aces

Greg, great drawings. ZFM (Zundflug und Motoren)(sp?) also had detailed engineering drawings of allied aircraft and engines. Not 3 views, mind you, but fully dimensioned drawings.

Regards,
John

Facebook.com/VintageAviationTeam
Old 8 August 2021, 06:25 PM   #5
redintheskies
Forum Ace

1st off, I love this. It gives new life into the forum with a new category. 2nd, what you all have is amazing. Thank you for sharing.

Last edited by redintheskies; 8 August 2021 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Repeating words
Old 10 August 2021, 12:55 PM   #6
Maxim08
Forum Ace of Aces

Well, when I'm wrong, I'm really wrong!

ZFM, despite what I claimed in a post above, is: 'Zeitschrift Flugtechnik und Motorluftschiffahrt' or 'Flight technology and Motorized Airship Magazine'.

That minor detail aside, the drawings are interesting. Attached is one page of a dozen that make up the complete drawing for the Hispano-Suiza engine.

Regards,
John
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Hispano-Suiza-ZFM 1918-16.pdf (61.4 KB, 47 views)

Facebook.com/VintageAviationTeam
Closed Thread